Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Stop Making Sense



I'm having one of those weeks. It's nobody's fault but my own. Well, actually I can blame my mom a little because I inherited her genes for the art of procrastination. I've had 2 weeks to work on bits and pieces of my project but, did I? NO! Instead I cringe every time my project leader calls hoping she doesn't ask me for a progress report or any drafts. I noticed on Monday that my office was starting to look a little shabby but, did I do anything about it? NO! Instead I decide to photograph the mess so I can have "before and after" pictures. My project leader is going to kick my ass. She may look petite and dainty but she's going kick my ass all the way back to the Motherland! In my defense, some of my best work has come under pressure. Hey, perhaps I'm subconsciously waiting until the last minute so I can produce my best work? Oh who am I kidding...I'm unfocused and I need to grow up.

In the meantime, enjoy my "before" pictures.


My desk BEFORE Posted by Hello
I swear the desk was pretty much in order until Monday when I got slammed with a side project. Despite the way it looks, I actually know where things are hence can't mess with the piles until I finish some preliminary data. (Note the jumbo yellow bottle of Tylenol)


The printer is overflowing... Posted by Hello


Step right up ladies and gentlemen, watch the amazing growing piles. Posted by Hello

Tomorrow is a new day! I'm going to get a good night's sleep and I'm going to attack the piles with a vengeance. Yes, that's it. I'm turning off the ringer on my office phone as well as my e-mail indicator. I'm not going to give into my newly acquired blogging addiction by tweaking the stat counter on my website or by checking out every URL that has visited my blog. (A big shout out to my 2 visitors from Iceland!) I'm not going to continually check Vig's or eM's or Anurag's blog for new posts because (dammit) they're in a time zone which happens to be almost 12 hours ahead of the one I reside in. Chances are they're sleeping at 3am in the morning. That's right folks...say bye to the old chutney and get ready for the new and improved chutney!

12 Comments:

Blogger eM says...

Y'know I always believe that a messy desk is a sign of great creativity. The theory is that a highly creative mind is not ordered enough to worry about piles of paper and things and so clutter=genius! :)
And I'm usually up and about at 2 am, so 3 is not such a big deal, only I don't usually post at that time coz my words come out very garbled. Typos and all...

Thu Mar 24, 12:13:00 AM CST  
Blogger That Girl says...

well mix me right in dat Chutney of yours on that desk..lol mine is as messy as can be .. with doodles and pencil shavings and eraser skids.. and tons of colorful watchamacallits stuck on the partitions.. my next door neighbor often peeps into my cabin and spends quiet a lot of time staring at everything in it..lol... i guess if im not all that interesting ... MY DESK IS!!

thanks for coming by my blog with that really sweet comment!! you are added to my tin hence forth!!

Thu Mar 24, 12:51:00 AM CST  
Blogger Vignesh says...

Ahhh.. thanks for that little compliment there !! Am much obliged that you refresh almost as often as I do ;)

And how dare you insinuate that I have no social life and hence sleep by the odd hour of 3 AM ?!?!!? I most certainly do not... ;)

New chutney eh.. yummmmmyy !!!!

Thu Mar 24, 04:55:00 AM CST  
Blogger Anurag says...

Wow! Someone checks my blog daily, huh! My life has some purpose, finally. :))

My desk was as cluttered when I was working from home. Now that I have an office, it is still cluttered!! :(

Now, we wait for the after pictures. Have a great day.

Anurag

Thu Mar 24, 11:12:00 AM CST  
Blogger Nimbus says...

Stumbled upon your blog through your comment on Senthil's, although going by the mess on your desk, I could have just as easily stumbled upon that instead :)

As one of your commenters (eM) put it, and I agree - a messy desk is a sure sign of creativity! Plus, a mess outside indicates order within.. Okay, I am out of profound things to say so i'll just shut up and go back to my own mess :|

Look forward to chaos in your 'after' pictures as well :)

Thu Mar 24, 12:45:00 PM CST  
Blogger DrPat says...

Somewhere, in one of those piles, is the meaning of life. Let us know when you uncover it!

Thu Mar 24, 07:23:00 PM CST  
Blogger Yulacu says...

My desk looks just like that...if not worse. I would clean it up, but if I did, I wouldn't be able to find anything for weeks so it stays that way until my breaking point. As to your procrastination...I am the same way. I thought about joining a group to address the issue, but I haven't gotten around to it...how's that for irony?

Thu Mar 24, 08:43:00 PM CST  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

Thank you all for the wonderful comments which will ironically serve to fuel my blogging addiction.

lady - Welcome! Your flowers are definitely more tranquil than my desk

hid - umm...welcome...if you wouldn't mind passing through that metal detector over there first. thanks!

eM - That's it! I'm a misunderstood genius. Wouldn't it be great if everything in life came with a spell check. I've spent 10 minutes on these comments because I can't for the life of me make any sense.

grafx - Most days I think my desk is more interesting than I am.

vig - I'm sorry. I just assumed that everyone's perception of a social life is taking the kids to the park.

anu - umm... i think I lost my camera under the piles. : )

megha - quite an honor having you here as I enjoy your blog from afar. Actually Boston and Chicago aren't that far from each other but you get the point.

drpat - Crap! I think I just threw out the meaning of life with the junk mail.

jade - Welcome! My breaking point may have been this morning when I lost sight of my 9-month old daughter behind one of the piles.

Wow! I sure use a lot of exclamation points (!) when I blog!! I must sound really excitable to you guys!!!!

Thu Mar 24, 10:31:00 PM CST  
Blogger Vignesh says...

LOL !! Touche !

Fri Mar 25, 12:01:00 AM CST  
Blogger Jorand van Wieklund says...

We have a saying in Norway that goes something like "its better to have order in the mess than a messy order". I guess it does'nt translate very well, but you'll get the picture. :p

Thanks for your comment at my blog btw, you were my first!

Fri Mar 25, 01:03:00 PM CST  
Blogger Nimbus says...

Honor? No no. It's my pleasure! I, of course, had no idea that you visited my blogdom. Thanks much!

Fri Mar 25, 02:48:00 PM CST  
Blogger khwaish says...

hey..nice post...
Lol...I think i work well under pressure...Last week was spring brk...and I didnt touch my books until sat, which was when I started panicking...luckily..i managed to finsih stuff just on time...good luck...

Fri Mar 25, 02:59:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home