Tuesday, July 11, 2006

In a big country dreams stay with you like a lover's voice fires the mountainside.



Wow. This blog sure is dusty. I'm writing after a little blog break and a four day holiday so this post is sure to have run-on sentences and tangents.

It was the independence day holiday last week and in addition to the town parade, we took the kids to see the fireworks spectacular. D found this spot that was far enough from the crowds but close to where the fireworks were launched. We were so close that I strained my neck looking up as the colorful explosions lit up the night sky. The night was a little cool with a gentle breeze off the lake and I loved snuggling with the kids under the blanket.

Here are some pics from the parade:

Parade
Here's a marching band playing Pinball Wizard by The Who. I'm sure the Founding Fathers of this nation are rolling over in their graves.

Parade
Bolivian dancers

Parade
Filipino dancers

Parade
Scottish bagpipers. There's a Pavlovian response in which I choke up as soon as I hear live bagpipes. I'm not sure why it happens but I always fight back tears. I went through a whole box if tissue watching Braveheart.

Parade
Here's a float with a bunch of old white guys dressed up as Chinese men. D and I shot each other a look when we saw it.

Before the Bush Administration comments about how many immigrants they let participate in our 4th of July celebration I present for you this thing.
Parade
It scared the bejeezus out of the Girl.

Speaking of, the kids are now a whole year older and it's pretty amazing. Last weekend I was looking at some old pictures of my parents and it really got me thinking about the sacrifices they made. When my mom was my age, she left India alone in search for a new life for us in America. When she left my sister and I were the exact ages that my kids are now. I don't think I could do it. Perhaps for the right opportunity I would consider leaving my family (parents, sisters, aunts/uncles, cousins) and friends behind but I sure as hell couldn't leave D and the kids. People talk about the immigrant spirit and I so get it.

Life is rocking along. Work is super busy but good. I just found out that I'm going to Brazil the week of August 21st. I know I should be thinking of things like what cultural things can I see while I'm there and how I should research the local cuisine and such but all I can think is "I've got a month to fit mt fat ass back into my favorite pair of jeans." Of course things may not work out and the pharmaceutical company that I'm working for will pull the drug I'm studying in which case I'll spend the week of August 21st updating my CV in my bathrobe. Life always keeps you in your toes.

D, the kids, and I are driving to Michigan tomorrow. Friends of ours rented a beach house and invited us to stay with them for the week. This is truly the first real vacation we've had since our honeymoon. India in December was nice but it doesn't really count as a true vacation if you're only able to spend 17.5 minutes at each aunt's house before the next stop. The biggest decision I plan on making this week is which pair of flip flops should I wear.

I leave you with a few more pictures.
All my children
All my kids.

Princess
Guess who got a birthday princess outfit and crown from her Aunt Sue? (She kinda looks a little disheveled like she just came home from a rave).

The princess and her loyal subject
Guess who refused to take her crown off for 4 days?

32 Comments:

Blogger Anurag says...

Good to see you back. Chutney has grown really big, huh?

Going to Brazil! You lucky, lucky person. Have fun...

Wed Jul 12, 12:38:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Rohini says...

Welcome back. Wow, Brazil! That's on my list of places to go to before I die.

The kids look absolutely adorbale with Chutney on the sofa. And the Girl didn't take the crown off for four days! Wow! Ayaan is just getting to be stubborn so I can see crazy times ahead!

Wed Jul 12, 01:59:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Sunrayz says...

hey mint!nice to see you back. brazil can turn out to be a great motivator to get butts back into shape!! hope you have a great weekend minus various aunts and uncles.

Wed Jul 12, 03:37:00 AM CDT  
Blogger AB says...

Now that's something to work on before your Aug trip:0) Foresee some samba happening...

A kiss to the princess on the sofa and also noticed something...Chutney always seems to be lying around...

Wed Jul 12, 05:24:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Jay says...

I get a Pavlovian response when I see hot guys in kilts.

And if I had a crown I'd never take it off.

Wed Jul 12, 07:24:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Tartrazina says...

she's gorgeous... he too! :o) more pics! good to see you back!

Wed Jul 12, 07:32:00 AM CDT  
Blogger my life.... says...

yeah i agree...in fact my mom used to say that we will not know how much sacrifices our mom has made unless we become a mother one day...its true u know!i guess every mom feels this way

Wed Jul 12, 07:33:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com says...

Awwww ... all three of the "kids" are cutie pies! :)

Welcome back!!! Missed ya.

Wed Jul 12, 09:19:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wandernut says...

I love that picture of the 3 kids :) your daughter and son are gonna break many hearts one day...

chutney is so adorable... and that shot of him lying down on his side... sunshine does that all the time too...

Wed Jul 12, 11:20:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

1.Brave heart was the movie where I was kissed for the fiest time.
2. I didn't want to take off my tiara for four days and I was 25 by then:)

Wed Jul 12, 11:58:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Terri the terrific says...

Chutney's allowed on the furniture when the family's home?!!! Lucky dawg! Doesn't he shed?

Wed Jul 12, 01:36:00 PM CDT  
Blogger freespirit says...

Atlast she is back! I was beginning to wonder where I would get my daily dose of the spicy fresh mint chutney from! Lovely kids...all 3 of them!

Fri Jul 14, 04:32:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Menagerie says...

Hey, nice pics! I always think Chicago rocks during the Independence day. Took my parents to 'The Taste of Chicago' and the Grant park fireworks!

Have fun in Brazil!

Fri Jul 14, 03:31:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Me says...

If I had a crown, I wouldn't take it off either. So fully advocate child wearing crown for weeks on end.
And have loads and loads of fun in Brazil!!!!

Mon Jul 17, 12:39:00 AM CDT  
Blogger That Girl says...

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy im baaaaaaack!!! wow great pics!! whew.. it feels so good to be back blogging again!! i MISSED my computer!!!

hope you have a GREAT holiday minty!!

Mon Jul 17, 02:45:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Zaphod says...

been a pleasure reading your blog...are now in the 'reading it' list on my own blog! thanks

Mon Jul 17, 04:19:00 PM CDT  
Blogger D says...

brazil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you lucky thing you.

Mon Jul 17, 10:52:00 PM CDT  
Blogger lawyeramma says...

i wanna crown waaah...if anyone i know is reading this (which i know they are cos they are big fans of yours mint),please get me a crown, like the one the Girl is wearing for my next birthday.

and your kids are sooooo cute.

Wed Jul 19, 12:25:00 AM CDT  
Blogger suemamma says...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Fri Jul 21, 11:57:00 PM CDT  
Blogger suemamma says...

I've been off blogging for a bit too. Now you've been tagged by me.

Sat Jul 22, 12:01:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Cee Kay says...

Nice pics!! And WOW! You are one busy, traveler mom. Though I wish to have a career that would take me to different places, I am not sure I could carry it off as effortlessly (or seemingly so) as you and your husband do.

By the way, I tagged ya :D Go to my latest post (http://my2centstoo.blogspot.com/2006/07/my-first-official-legal-actual-tag.html) to see what it is about.

Sat Jul 22, 07:50:00 PM CDT  
Blogger suemamma says...

Mint you've been tagged by me too. Isee that I should also give you the link (http://mtwardhafamily.blogspot.com/2006/07/tagged.html

Tue Jul 25, 07:52:00 AM CDT  
Blogger P says...

Interesting post..
Brazil eh? Always wanted to go there.. sigh!

Wed Aug 02, 02:14:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Jane Sunshine says...

Mint update please. Miss you!

Wed Aug 02, 05:47:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Zette Remi says...

That is such a cute picture of your little girl!

Wed Aug 02, 11:54:00 PM CDT  
Blogger anumita says...

All your kids are so cute!!! Missing your posts...

Thu Aug 03, 03:52:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Ekta says...

hey wow,
the snaps look quite invitings ans the kids are damn cute!!
I remember i used to be like her as a kid...never wanting to get off my good clothe:-)

Fri Aug 04, 02:49:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Madame Mahima says...

minttyyy where are you
*whine*

Fri Aug 04, 09:46:00 AM CDT  
Blogger suemamma says...

Mint are you ok or in Brazil?

Fri Aug 04, 11:40:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Sherry says...

If you have time to leave comments, you have time to blog young lady. (Imagine the tone if "if you're well enough to go out with your friends you're well enough to go to school".)

Sun Aug 06, 12:02:00 PM CDT  
Blogger sinusoidally says...

In case you were wondering what to write, there is a tag you can do. I am tagging you for the first time so you can't say no. :-) Or you can.

Tue Aug 08, 04:56:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Anil P says...

Which means she is the only one who knows the worth of the crown.

Fri Aug 11, 11:06:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home