Friday, May 05, 2006

You can be my Yoko Ono. You can follow me wherever I go...



D worked late the other night and I rearranged the living room.
BEFORE:




AFTER




It's a little more intimate and I like having the red chair by the window to read in or relax but I'm not sure if I'm loving it for the longterm.

I was online earlier and I noticed that my visitor from Poland was here and I quickly typed out a message. I'm just curious who you are.

When I was coming out of college I was very settled in my social life. I had a large circle of friends who hung out all the time and even vacationed together. Eventually D came into the circle and as we hit our late twenties and thirties, one by one we started getting married and having kids. In America, couples routinely wait until they are in their 30's before they get married. In fact at 27, I was the youngest to get hitched. I really thought that although I would continue to meet new people, my circle of friends was set. However, I've been pleasantly surprised with the new friendships I've made in my early 30's. A few have turned up by circumstance such as fellow room mother's at the kid's schools. I like hanging out with the real moms who have a twinkle in their eyes like they could use a drink at 9am. These women are not to be confused with the ones who have a twinkle in their eyes like they could snap at any moment nor are they the perfectionist whose lives will never live up to the image they portray hence they actually drink at 9am. I've also become very close to one of the Boy's enrichment tutors. I laugh when I say this because if someone had told me that they had a tutor for their kindergartener I would have thought they were crazy. This would be a good time to mention that I suck at anything related to math. I nearly failed geometry in high school and I did so poorly in physics that my university professor (who was from India) wanted a DNA test to prove I was really Indian. Despite this, the Boy (at age 5) has gone ahead and tested at a 3rd grade math level. We now need a tutor to keep up with his academic needs because unless you need to lnow about 80's music or movie quotes, momma can't help you.

Then we come to bloggers. I like being friendly with everyone but after 2 years of blogging there is a protective net that I put up before I actually let you in. Bloggers who have written me e-mails know that I don't respond unless I actually feel like I know you. Sometimes it takes time of commenting back and forth on each other's blog or sometimes it just happens and I just have this feeling that we'd get along. I have 6 bloggers on my MSN chat list and this morning I just added number 7. The special thing about number 7 is that, for the first time since I started blogging, I found a foreign variation of me. She's 33, Indian, married to a German guy, adorable son, loves music and movies, photography, AND works from home. The major difference is she can cook (and cook well) while I am embarrassed to say that last week I burned a pot of boiling water while trying to steam ears of corn .

Viva la blogs!

And now before I leave you for the weekend, here are pictures of the Boy's first baseball game. No keeping score, no real plays. Just 15 5-6 year olds in uniforms running after a ball.

IMG_3490

IMG_3503

16 Comments:

Blogger Rohini says...

I completely sucked at Maths too. My parents spent more than my school tuition on my Maths tutor to get me ready for my board exams and I still got my lowest marks in Maths.

Fri May 05, 12:00:00 PM CDT  
Blogger That Girl says...

first of all. i LAO the barenakedladies ( i was so shocked at the name when i was introduced to the music years ago)

secondly, i think youre the coolest mommmy blogger..( actually put that first too)

thirdly. oi!! you FLUNG SHUI really out of the window!! you rearranged again~!??

Fri May 05, 12:09:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Kochukandhari says...

the intimacy of blogs can be frightening, the way you imagine you know someone and really not have an inkling...that said, I always imagined you as having a huge bunch of friends:)

Fri May 05, 01:10:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Meeta K. Wolff says...

Add one other thing to number 7 ... that picture you have hanging on your wall from Auguste Rodin, she has it hanging in her living room too. Is that freaky or what?!!

Fri May 05, 03:05:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Meeta K. Wolff says...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Fri May 05, 03:10:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

Rohini: The thing is I must use about 5% of the math I learned.

Grrl: 1. I like that people who don't realize that they're a band now think you have the potential to be gay. : ) 2. I don't feel like a cool mom 3. I'm trying to get the good chi flowing.

Beks: I'm a loner at heart but i do have a very nice group of friends. You make Kottayam cool (and we both have to admit that's not an easy thing to do) : )

Meeta:! First comment from you! I bet the more we talk the more we find stuff in common. Also, I had to delete the last comment because I haven't published my name on the blog. ; )

Fri May 05, 04:46:00 PM CDT  
Blogger The Box says...

I love the way you've done up your place. I went through a weird savant phase in high school where I did well in Additional Math (quadratic equations, trig) but failed (like single digit scores) at Basic Math.

If my kids are good at anything mildly scientific, it's all the wife's genes.

Sat May 06, 01:20:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Meeta K. Wolff says...

oops! I have to be careful about that one ... sorry.

;-)

Sat May 06, 04:09:00 PM CDT  
Blogger 4wD says...

I dont get what you changed in the furniture. It looks only slightly different. Like you you moved the camera. different pers[ective

Sun May 07, 02:14:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Prerona says...

27 is early ... sigh ... how nice :)

Sun May 07, 03:43:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Jane Sunshine says...

Hello from another maths failure.

Mon May 08, 05:38:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com says...

CUTE photos!!! :-)

Mon May 08, 08:25:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Sunrayz says...

I used to S-T-I-N-K at maths too :) And am proud of that ;)!!
PS: Plus,I so understand about the wish for being neighbours you know... :(

Mon May 08, 09:53:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Madame Mahima says...

i sucked at math so bad..then i got a tuition teacher..and he was SUCH an idiot coz all he'd do is make me feel like i didnt have 2 brain cells to rub together and snigger everytime i asked him how to do something.
and then i realised practice actually helped A LOT..and i got my A's in math. that showed HIM.
asshole.

*composes herself* sorry..sorry..im fine now..

and i understand what its like having that protective net too..i wouldnt just approve any old blogger on MSN unless i knew him/her well enough, otherwise its not very different from just going around and approving random weirdos who keep adding u!

Mon May 08, 08:48:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Kochukandhari says...

Mint, that is just about the best compliment I have ever received:D

Tue May 09, 12:21:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

Box: When I originally read your e-mail I thought you guys got married and didn't tell me. (hee hee)

Meeta: No worries. I just like keeping it on the down-low.

4wd: What??? The sofa and overstuffed chair are completely switched around. HMPH! *fights the urge to rearrange again and send you pictures*

Prerona: In my orginal plan (you know, the one in my head) I wasn't getting married until I was 33(right after I ran with the bulls in Pamplona.) : )

Jane and Sunrayz: What wonderful company to be in. Have either of you ever burned a pot of boiling water?

Stolie: Thanks!

Mahima: Easy girl...breathe in, breathe out. I'm pretty sure that I have ADHD so if I had a long MSN list I would NEVER get anything done.

b.: : )

Tue May 09, 02:20:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home