Friday, April 14, 2006

It takes courage, to enjoy it...



I reselected my template. Thanks Seashells!

I found an old love letter. Well it wasn't exactly a love letter because we weren't even dating but it was one of those letters that when you read again after 13 years you feel that perhaps you missed a few signals. He clearly talks about his unrequited love for another girl but the feel of it... The "I'll miss you more than you'll know..." feel. Sigh. Perhaps the read was heightened by the shriek of The Girl's high-pitched "Maaa! Chutney no tail face-face owie" (translation: Mother, tell Chutney to stop hitting me in the face with his tail).

I used to be a hoarder. I used to keep little mementos and knick-knacks. When I hit 30, something snapped and I realized that I hated clutter. I've purged so much in the past few years but something about these letters makes me feel like I want to keep them. It's not a romantic, still pining away for him feeling They make me feel like a different me, not necessarily a better or worse me, just different. I like that. F.K., if you ever read this, thanks. Thanks for making me feel special despite never being in a room alone with me. Last I heard, your wife was finishing her teaching courses in Chennai. I hope one day you can meet D because I know you'd like him a lot.

My week in review:

This week was Spring Break so I took a few days off to hang with the Boy. Unfortunately I never checked his social calendar which turned out to booked. Between my parents and D's parents the Boy has hardly been home.

This is the 6-foot Easter basket that my dad bought for him.

IMG_3419
The dilemma is we don't let the kids play with toy guns at home yet there is now a basket full of projectiles and weapons.

To celebrate our wedding anniversary this past week D took my out for raspberry martinis.
IMG_3377

Wednesday, the Boy and I took a road trip to Wisconsin where I dropped him off at D's parent's place.

IMG_3387

Grandma Mary sent back cookies.
IMG_3417 Pastel M&Ms
IMG_3418 Peanut Butter Drops


IMG_3406
We took the Girl out for sushi. Earlier in the week when we went out for dinner she was an angel. Our waiter gushed every time she said "Tank you" and "Mo bed peeze". This time she was grumpy and spilled a bowel of miso soup all over herself during a tantrum over wanting more tomatoes.

IMG_3405
Here she is mastering chop sticks (before she used them as a weapon.)

This afternoon D, the Girl and I took a road trip back to Wisconsin to pick up the Boy. Grandma Mary lives in the Mecca of outlet malls. It is the promised land for shopping with everything from The Gap to Nine West to Versace. I'm not much of a shopper but there's something about being there that makes me enjoy the experience.

Grandma Mary, just like my parents, spoil the kids to death. I think that's what I'm missing in my life. Someone to periodically cater to all my whims and needs, in addition to plying me with donuts for breakfast.

IMG_3383

IMG_3374

We were all exhausted by the time we got home. We had dinner and took a little walk before bathtime. My friends called and wanted to know if I wanted to go out to dinner and drinks with them but I declined. Maybe it was the day's activity or maybe it's my age but nothing sounded better then a bubble bath and a good book. I think I used to shy away from admitting stuff like that but I don't care anymore. I'm 33 and I'd rather stay home and read. Deal with it.

15 Comments:

Blogger Kochukandhari says...

I just couldn't concentrate reading this post, I was all Homer Simpson, mmm...rasperry mratinis, mmmm....cokkies....mmm...more cookies...mmm....sushi...mmm...shopping
...mmm...bubblebath and good book....mmm...good post

Fri Apr 14, 11:38:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Trevor Penn says...

Yay ! I'm doing my victory dance right now... :D

Sat Apr 15, 12:30:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

u've got such gorgeous kids...i am going through this baby-urge that's just not going away. if they ever come around my part of the world, aunty jane will spoil them rotten as well. jane sunshine.

Sun Apr 16, 10:49:00 AM CDT  
Blogger twip says...

ooooo....me likey the raspberry maritini veryveryvery much :)

and the peanut butter drops look diviiiiineee...

There goes my diet.

Sun Apr 16, 02:16:00 PM CDT  
Blogger sinusoidally says...

For the longest time I stared at the martini glass and wondered how are the three raspberries defying the laws of physics and floating on top of the drink. Then I realized I am completely overlooking the tiny stick on the edges of the glass that holds them. That's what happens when there is too much anti-histamines in the system.

Sun Apr 16, 04:06:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

Lovely post mint.. the pictures of the kids are soo adorable.

Mon Apr 17, 03:08:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Menagerie says...

Martinis, cookies, shopping!! Kill us softly won't ya Mint :)

Love your children, they are adorable. I feel like making a trip up north to Chicago to hang out with them, can I ? :)

Mon Apr 17, 12:35:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Madame Mahima says...

Mmm raspberry martinis...i would kill for one right now..damn you, exams!
boy and girl look adorable...ive said it before..boy's going to be such a ladies man when he's older
the
a basket full of projectiles and weapons.
i dont know why but that really cracked me up! its like a scene out of the simpsons =D

Mon Apr 17, 09:03:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wandernut says...

The kids are adowwaabbleee...

CHUTNEY NO TAIL OWIEE!
That's soooooooooo cute!!!

Wow, the cookies look so yummy.
Slurrrppp.....

Hugs!

Mon Apr 17, 10:35:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Jay says...

I think if NM got a 6-foot Easter basket - presumably filled with chocolates and sugary treats as well plastic weapons of murder and mayhem - he would spontaneously ejaculate all over himself.

Happy (belated) Easter!

Tue Apr 18, 02:24:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Vishnupriya says...

the only love letters i ever got i sat and tore up one day. not that i regret it, but maybe it would have been fun to read them now.

Wed Apr 19, 06:41:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Kochukandhari says...

Hey, in the small world that we live in do you know betty and thejus? Thejus is here spending his bachelor party with us. LOL.

Wed Apr 19, 01:06:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

B: I didn’t enjoy the sushi like I wanted to because of the Girl’s mood but otherwise It was a great week.

Seashells: Thanks again for your help.

Jane: Thanks babe. We have a map in the Boy's room and both London and KL are on our list of places to visit.

Punkster: The martini was fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Sinu: Allergies? Or is it the easy access to all the good stuff? Did you match in Chicago or NY?

Lavi: Thanks and congrats to you!

Menagerie: Thanks! I need to drive to Indiana for the cheaper gas (although the distance sorta defeats the purpose)

Mahima: It's funny you say that because the other day I commented that our life was like a bad episode of the Simpsons, complete with hidey-ho neighbors

Nutty: Welcome back beach bum! Come to Chicago and I'll buy you all the martinis you want. : )

Jay: Happy belated Easter babe. Leave it to you to use the word ejaculate in reference to an Easter basket.

Vishnu: Long time no see! There weren’t that many and this guy was so in love with another girl. I was his "buddy”.

B: No, I don’t know them. Are you by chance drunk blogging? : )

Wed Apr 19, 04:53:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Kochukandhari says...

Yes, I would have been drunk blogging. Sorry:(

Thu Apr 20, 09:16:00 AM CDT  
Blogger ILA says...

your children are beautiful.think its the first time i see their faces on your blog.am sharmila btw and have been reading your blog for a while.

Fri Apr 21, 02:57:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home