Friday, March 31, 2006

Yesterday I got so old I felt like I could die. Yesterday I got so old it made me want to cry.



Life is funny. Not necessarily funny ha-ha but more like punch-you-in-the-stomach-leaving-you-breathless funny. Wednesday was my birthday. To make a very long story short, my mom was in a car accident. Although the car was left undrivable, my mom was relatively unscathed. However, when I spoke to her a while later she couldn't dismiss the fact that she may have blacked out prior to hitting the lamp post. Fast forward and my mom is admitted to the hospital for a neurological assessment. Fast forward some more and although she's neurologically OK, the tests show some anomalies in the areas she was previously treated for cancer. The consensus on the tests since the first discovery is that the shadowing is scar tissue from her previous surgeries. The quick ride on the emotional roller coaster has left me exhausted. I know that the law of averages will show that my mother will pass before I do but nothing will ever prepare me for it. My sisters and I are very close to my mother. Having a family of my own is the only thing that will force me to go on once it happens. It's also a bit hard treading on being a primary caretaker for your children and your parents. I was pregnant the last time I was in that role and in looking back, I'm not quite sure how I survived. Anyway, bottom line mom is fine and I'm a year older.

Thanks to all the wonderful blog wishes I received. I also want to give a special shout-out to Wandernut and Box who sent me an awesome homemade scrapbook of events that have occurred on March 29th over the years. Of course there was hilarious handwritten commentary throughout. I hope I can return a dose of Mint Love worthy of your thoughtful present.
birthday book


IMG_3312
We had work done on the bathroom. The builder did not secure something correctly the first time and our tile work was cracking. It's all fixed and back to normal now. Of course we have to touch up some paint which only makes me want to change the color of the bathroom.


IMG_3316 My birthday cake.
Mercifully D only lit 4 candles otherwise it would have been a fire hazard. My cake was vanilla with white frosting and Twix candy bars. I'm pretty sure I'm diabetic now thanks to this cake.


D gave me an iPod which I still haven't taken out of the box because I was so busy with my mom and everything. We're gonna play around with it tonight. (Yes, the iPod too. Kidding.)


Finally, I have had a couple requests for pictures of D and the kids. The Girl was dressed up for a play at the Boy's school and I snapped this pic of her. As you can see she inherited my eyes and D's family's crazy-curly brown hair.
IMG_3319

20 Comments:

Blogger Rohini says...

Hope your mom is doing fine now. Pretty scary stuff. Take care

Sun Apr 02, 12:35:00 AM CST  
Blogger Gamesmaster G9 says...

Just to wish you Happy Birthday and at the same time hope that your mother is fine.

PS - Tomorrow is Sayoni's (motheater) wedding.

Sun Apr 02, 04:49:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com says...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

By the way, I'm glad to hear that your mother is okay. That must have been quite a scare.

Sun Apr 02, 07:38:00 AM CDT  
Blogger sinusoidally says...

Belated happy birthday Mint chutney.

I am sorry you had to go through such a stressful time regarding your mother's accident. Hope both you and you family are feeling better knowing it was a scar tissue and not a new finding.

Sun Apr 02, 07:33:00 PM CDT  
Blogger D says...

belated happy birthday mint. hope you had a nice day... erm, i mean night???
am glad your mum is ok.

Sun Apr 02, 09:40:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wandernut says...

Hey babe!
(HUUUGGGGSSSSS)

I'm sure all will be okay.
Love ya!

Sun Apr 02, 10:26:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

Glad your mom is ok Mint. I hope you got my email anyway, Happy Birthday again. Lots of love.

Sun Apr 02, 11:51:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Rat says...

Such a relief to hear your moms ok Mint. Was really feeling horrible after chatting with you the other day.

Mon Apr 03, 12:33:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Tartrazina says...

glad your Mum's ok. and belated happy birthday to another mad March head! xxxx & hugses!

Mon Apr 03, 02:07:00 AM CDT  
Blogger eM says...

happy belated birthday!
and i'm sorry to hear your birthday week wasn't as wonderful as you would've wished it, but things can only get better, right? here's to another year with you and your blog. *raises tequila shot with cyber love* :)

Mon Apr 03, 03:46:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Primalsoup says...

Belated Birthday Wishes. Hope all is well now.

Mon Apr 03, 10:53:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Jay says...

A bit late now, but better late than blah blah blah. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! -hugs- Glad to hear that it was just a false alarm.

Mon Apr 03, 01:48:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Kochukandhari says...

Hey Happy Birthday! I'm glad your mom is ok now and your daughter is awfully cute!

Tue Apr 04, 12:43:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Sin says...

Belated Happy Birthday!:)
And I'm glad your Mom's ok.

Tue Apr 04, 03:36:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Spot says...

Glad to hear that your mum is ok.

What a lovely cake - Twix! Yummers!

Happy Belated Birthday Mint!

Tue Apr 04, 10:19:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Madame Mahima says...

happy birthday minty! sorry i know im late (as always)!
im glad your mum is ok..and if i think about it, no matter how many fights ive had with my mum, life wouldnt be the same and i wouldnt be the same person, if she wasn't around
remember what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger!
heres to loads of love, joy and luck coming your way for many many years to come!

Wed Apr 05, 06:47:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Sonal says...

Hey Mint,

Glad to know that your mom is ok! Take care....

Belated Birthday Wishes from my side too! :)

Wed Apr 05, 04:21:00 PM CDT  
Blogger AlterinG Abhishek says...

i had goosepimples reading about the short few lines...
You are so right..
Belated birthday greetings...
Look ahead.. age is only in he mind..
(",)
read.. ageless body timeless mind by Deepak Chopra!!

Thu Apr 06, 05:27:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Cee Kay says...

Hi Mint,

Belated Happy Birthday to you (have I wished you already? Goodness! My mind is foggy sometimes!!) Sorry to hear about the scare you got regarding your mom's health and at the same time glad to learn that everything turned out OK.

As I believe - it isn't that you are one year older. It is that you have one more year of experiences :)

Chin up & Good luck with everything! And a lot of cyber-hugs coming your way.

Thu Apr 06, 09:33:00 PM CDT  
Blogger AB says...

Awww...I too can't imagine me outliving my mom and I can't imagine life without her even though we bicker most of the time. It's very depressing...

Anyways happy birthday (belated though)! Was at S's wedding. Lots to say but little time.

Fri Apr 07, 11:44:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home