Thursday, March 02, 2006

And I'm never gonna dance again. Guilty feet have got no rhythm



Conversation this morning with my former boss and mentor whom I still affectionately call Boss.
I'm in the middle of writing a report when the phone rings.

Me: Good Morning, (name of my company), this is Mint

Boss: Hi Mint, it's (boss man)

Fuck! Why didn't I check the caller ID before I picked up

Me: Hey Boss. What's going on?

Boss: Oh you know same old same old. (He launches into 15 minutes about his research, how he received 400 applications from doctors to be in his fellowship program, about all the papers that have been accepted for publishing)

Boss: I have a publishing opportunity for you. (Tells me)

Me: That sounds so nice except I'm doing X-Y-Z so I don't have a lot of time to devote to it.

Boss: Still happy being a corporate peon huh?

Me: (breathe-10-9-8..) Still happy that we can pay the mortgage AND have running water this month.

Boss: You know kid (he's known me for 12 years so I guess he can still call me that) money isn't everything. You get your name published enough times and people will be kicking in your door with opportunities. Academic prestige is priceless.

BREATHE!! 7-6-5...! This is a man who traveled 20 out of 30 days a month while his kids were growing up. This is the man who lives in what can only be described as a mansion. This man has a wine cellar bigger than my kitchen. This is the man who won't do a speaking engagement unless his honorarium is $3000 AND he gets first class accommodations AND his family flies with him free of charge. You're lecturing ME that money isn't everything?

Me: Boss, we go through this every 3 months. My current decisions on my life are based on the kids. When they're older I'll think about other things I want to do. Besides, I think I'm doing important work in the meantime.

Boss: No need to get defensive kid. I'm just trying to look out for you. People would kill to work with me and I wanted to give you first dibs.

(No asshole.. people want to kill once they START working for you)

Me: I truly appreciate you calling but the timing just isn't right for me.

Boss: I know..you're too busy playing mom. When do you think you'll have more time?

"Playing mom"??? (insert string of expletives)

Me: Hmmm.... (ruffles papers as if I'm checking my appointment book) April 5th, 2019. I'll pencil you in.

(Serenity now! Serenity now!)

Boss man is brilliant and I know I sound like an ungrateful bitch but with the opportunity comes long (unpaid) hours, travel away from my family in my spare time, and discussions with a man who I am convinced has a mental disorder. Academic prestige would cost me my sanity and I'm not willing to part with that.

16 Comments:

Blogger M (tread softly upon) says...

ha, lucky you!

Thu Mar 02, 12:06:00 PM CST  
Blogger Wandernut says...

YEAH! SHOW IT TO HIM, MINT. SHOW IT TO HIM! SHOW IT, SHOW IT! :)

Thu Mar 02, 08:35:00 PM CST  
Blogger That Girl says...

kids and family come first.
no matter WHAT JOB youre in.
if theyre not taken care of first then everything is useless...theyre a part of you... they come first.

Thu Mar 02, 09:13:00 PM CST  
Blogger Jay says...

Is he looking for a not-so-young toyboy? I'd love to live in a mansion.

Thu Mar 02, 10:04:00 PM CST  
Blogger shakester says...

wow. what a conversation. he sounds the brilliant but infuriating type. AT any rate, you have things sorted. One day one hopes you actually will do whatever you feel like, and look back with satisfaction on the days you did not....
right?

more sombre than i was planning, that comment...

Thu Mar 02, 11:05:00 PM CST  
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com says...

I just read the heading of your post. I. LOVE. George. Michael! :)

Careless Whisper is one of the best songs ever!!! :)

Okay, now that I got that out of the way ... time to go back and read the rest of your post ...

Fri Mar 03, 07:45:00 AM CST  
Blogger AB says...

Now there is not a single boss in my past or prsent for that matter that I would like to chat with...

Sat Mar 04, 12:51:00 AM CST  
Blogger Madame Mahima says...

what a nutcase...well u he's probably the genius-insane types so he probably sees things differently!

good on u minty! you're kids should be super pleased theyve got a mum with a good head on her shoulders =)

Sat Mar 04, 08:02:00 AM CST  
Blogger Kochukandhari says...

:-D

Sun Mar 05, 09:36:00 PM CST  
Blogger Tartrazina says...

wonder if i'll EVER make enough money to even start collecting fine wine???! right now its all hand-to-mouth thats possible! subsistence living!

Mon Mar 06, 02:09:00 AM CST  
Blogger shakester says...

i'm afraid we have gone and tagged you:(
:)

Mon Mar 06, 03:48:00 AM CST  
Blogger Primalsoup says...

Wow! Good stuff. I hate it when people say, 'Money is not everything!' It usually does add up to substantial number of things! :)

Mon Mar 06, 05:52:00 AM CST  
Blogger Cee Kay says...

Usually people who say "Money isn't everything" are the ones who already have loads of it. I feel like asking them "Well, how about giving me some then?".

I am still wondering how you kept your cool during the conversation, Mint. I am seething at the unnecessary comments like "playing mom", "being corporate peon".... I would have hung up on him - "Uh-oh! Did we get disconnected? I am sorry, my phone is acting a little funky these days".

Mon Mar 06, 10:17:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

Try "Hoochie Mama" next time instead of "Serenity Now" :-D

-Evanstonienne

Mon Mar 06, 04:27:00 PM CST  
Blogger Rohini says...

Really like your blog. Am totally impressed by your clarity. I am totally struggling with this whole full-time mom versus career mom thing. My son is over 9 months old and I have been working for three months now. But it doesn't feel right. But I am not sure staying home would feel right either. Plus there's the big home loan to be paid off. Almost every free moment is spent pondering this dilemna. I really need to sort this thing out before I drive myself crazy...

Wed Mar 08, 05:55:00 AM CST  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

M: thanks.

Wandernut: I'm very brave on the phone.

Grrl: I agree.

Jay: Not even in my wildest dream would I be attracted to him, mansion or not.

AKR: I hope so. : )

Stolie: What is up with George and his need for risky behavior. He was arrested yet again last week.

Ab: Dr B is great but chatting with him is not my idea of a good time.

MM: Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Rivka: Nice to see you back.

Tart: As they say mo' money mo' problems.

AKR: Hey! I did that one already!

Primal: Yes, but it doesn't buy time or a smaller ass and I'm in need of both. : )

CeeKay: I usually pretend my other phone is ringing and hang up.

Evanstonienne: LOL! I can imagine me in the lotus position chanting hoochie mama, hoochie mama.

Rohini: Welcome! I am so very fortunate that my company allows me to work from home and although my kids are in school and daycare, I have a very flexible schedule to be with them. I think the hardest job in the world is being a good stay at home mom and for various reason (bills being the first) I chose not to do it.

Wed Mar 08, 08:46:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home