Friday, March 25, 2005

Shaking the tree



Epiphany. I was flipping channels the other day and landed on MTV. On the screen was a provocatively clothed girl who could not have been more than 15 years old rapping about licking your (bleep)and then (bleeping) you until your (bleep) (bleeps). What the....where the hell (oh sorry (bleep)) are this girl's parents?? Do 15 year olds really know about that stuff to that extent?

Despite having an affinity for certain genres, I honestly enjoy different kinds of music. However, the music I enjoy (a) has a good tune/beat and or (b) endears me to the singer based on common emotions/experiences/feelings. The only thing this singer made me feel was old. Maybe that's the point. Maybe I'm not supposed to "get it". I think back to my mother's reaction when I would blast U2 or when my sister would play her Nirvana CD every waking moment. It's all tame compared to some of the stuff that's out there now. I guess I now realize that the imaginary line between free expression and my interpretation of decency is ever-evolving . Maybe 15-20 years from now when this girl is married and has a daughter of her own, she'll have to cross out and redraw her line. Until then, a word of advice to said singer. In your next video please put on a decent pair of panties. I'm not your (bleeping) gynecologist.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous says...

There is more good music now that I can ever remember. Unfortunately you have to work hard to find it. I no longer get MTV. I never did get U2 or Nirvana either for that matter. Michele sent me. And I think decent undergarments is always good advice.

Fri Mar 25, 09:04:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

makes being a parent stressful. more so than harder than ever. you can't put them in a bubble but you can't let them shake their money maker all over town either.

my kids are three and one right now so i'm hoping by the time they're each 15 things will have come around to a more conservative style.

fingers crossed huh?

Fri Mar 25, 09:43:00 PM CST  
Blogger eM says...

I think the biggest shock to me was when I saw Aaron Carter all of six or seven years old crooning away about "Crazy Little Party Girl". Kids these days! :)

Sat Mar 26, 01:47:00 AM CST  
Blogger RTD2 says...

Hi! first time here..interesting posts. I think modern music (especially hip-hop) shows degrading images of women in the name of liberalized lifestyles and free thinking. I think feminism was a giant conspiracy by men to make more women shake their tail feathers! :)

Sun Mar 27, 11:46:00 AM CST  
Blogger Yulacu says...

A co-worker brought her ten year old child into work the other day and she was singing some well known hip hop songs. I stood there for a minute...just too suprised to move. I knew she didn't know what she was saying...at least I hope she didn't...but at last I made up some stupid reason why she should stop singing the song instead of telling her what the lyrics actually meant.

Sun Mar 27, 09:21:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

tell me about it...why dont they all walk around with nothing on.. saves them all the trouble anyways..instead of pretending like wearing anything is like a huge burden and tribulation .

-grafxgurl

Sun Mar 27, 10:03:00 PM CST  
Blogger Vignesh says...

Ummm... the biggest shock I ever had in my life was seeing Aaron Carter on TV. Period. He didn't even have to sing...

I've had a related crib for a while now... every store you go to in Blore, has music blaring, while you shop. Now, if this were decent lounge music, it wouldn't be a problem. But no, its usually Eminem or Snoop Dogg, uncensored. There are a whole bunch of kids in there and all that, with parents. Do they really not mind their kids listening to this stuff ? That too when its in a public place, giving the impression that its okie to want to smack your bitch up ?

Tue Mar 29, 06:31:00 AM CST  
Blogger Manish Bhatt says...

Awww.. c'mon you guys, let the kids do their thang, y'know, they're a little bit of awright.

The last line though had me in splits.

Girl, yeah u, put summin on, I aint yer (bleeping) gynae. Ha ha ha. Hilllarious.

Query: Do male hip hop artists and punjabi pop singers share a common gene pool? What with gyarating hot bods in minimal clothing, big cars and fat gold chains.

Wed Mar 30, 10:52:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home