Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Spirit of the rising sun lift me up...



I'm home. It's 2am and I can't sleep. I've been a little conflicted about my job lately. I've been overwhelmed for a while. It's not the travel at all. People have been dropping likes flies and the company has done very little to help prevent the rest of us from leaving. I'm overwhelmed with my projects and lately I'm barely keeping my head above water. I have to remind myself that things could always be worse. But of course, things could always be better.

Brazil was great. It's a wonderful country with friendly people. Unfortunately on my flight back I was surrounded by high school exchange students who had no concept of volume control. I read this great article in Vanity Fair about scars. The most interesting physical scar that I have is the one on my left palm. My mom worked double shifts for many years of my childhood. My older sister would "watch" me from the time we got home from school until my dad came home. Now by "watch" I mean she would watch TV and I would try not to get in her way. One day when I was about 10 years old I was cutting a bagel to pop into the toaster. My parent's house had a TV in the kitchen and I was watching that episode of Happy Days where Fonzi rides his motorcycle over barrels in the parking lot of Al's diner. In hindsight the episode was pretty lame, but for a 10 year old this was a pretty episode. Anyway, my eyes were on the TV when they should have been watching the big cleaver in my hand. (No immigrant Indian family is complete unless there are a couple of machete-type knives that can cut through a chicken leg or coconut shell in one chop). I felt a burn and when I looked down my sesame bagel was drenched in bright red. I sliced into flesh and was mere millimeters away from a tendon. I'm so lucky I didn't lose the use of my hand.

Wow..I digress. OK. I'm sleepy now. I leave you with pictures of our Onam celebration. Onam is a harvest festival. D commented that it's sorta like American Thanksgiving Day without the connotation of genocide. My cousins came back from India today so we celebrated with a big dinner at their house and my aunt and uncle brought outfits for all the girls.

IMG_4406
Here's the Girl getting dressed.

IMG_4413
Here she is with her cousins.

IMG_4421
Here she is looking innocent.

IMG_4426
All the kids

IMG_4445
Here's the cake that says Happy Onam. My aunt sent my uncle to get a cake with sprinkles and he brought home a Madagascar cake.

IMG_4446
It was chocolate and it had a ton of frosting so I don't think the kids would have cared if it had math problems on it.

Finally my favorite picture of the week. We take pictures of the kids every month on our steps.
IMG_4390
Here are the kids on the Boy's first day of First grade.

Good night!

24 Comments:

Blogger Prerona says...

OMG! That cut sounded so spooky! Specially as you described it so vividly :D
I'm glad you missed the tendon and are okay now :)
U didnt think of opting to become a surgeon after that?

lol just kidding

yes, i know all about noise spill over - i hate it when people dont have volume control (including when the 'people' is me ;))

i couldnt read the text on ur blog at first as it appeared white on white. i had to highlight it to read it.

Tue Sep 05, 04:22:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Rohini says...

The Girl is carrying of her Onam costume far better than I can manage a sari!

Tue Sep 05, 06:03:00 AM CDT  
Blogger D says...

welcome back mint. have been out of circulation for weeks and just when i surface i am treated to some pics of the kids. very cute.

Tue Sep 05, 06:22:00 AM CDT  
Blogger my life.... says...

welcome back home gal :) Happy Onam to u, yr family and to all Mallu around the world... have a great day

Tue Sep 05, 06:38:00 AM CDT  
Blogger The Box says...

Your blog's become a lot like watching a TV series to me. In the hands of most other people, most of this stuff wouldn't work on paper. And yet, as you've written it - no, shared it - with us, it sings.

What they say is true.
First, have a character you care about, then the rest will fall into place :)

Tue Sep 05, 06:53:00 AM CDT  
Blogger That Girl says...

At laaast!!!! youre back! whew! love the pics! my favorite was the cake and the kids on the stairs...


*hunts* WHERE are the hot Brazillian men!?

Tue Sep 05, 07:50:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wandernut says...

So good to have you back Mint.

The girl is such a cutie!

Tue Sep 05, 08:18:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Kochukandhari says...

Your daughter is such a scene stealer:)

Tue Sep 05, 08:34:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

hey i found your site by mistake...but i am really enjoying it! happy onam. I will be sending you a private email from Jen...

Tue Sep 05, 10:14:00 PM CDT  
Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock says...

Your kids are the only ones I've seen whom I can admit into the same league as my own Very Small Person.
Majorly cute. Wonder whose genes they got?

J.A.P.

Wed Sep 06, 05:35:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

Prerona: The cut was bad but over time it healed and looks like an extended lifeline on my palm.

Rohini: She was strutting around like she owns the room.

D: Welcome back D!

My life: Thanks and Happy (belated) Onam to you.

Box: Sings? That's a stretch but thanks for the compliment. You'll notice that I went back and corrected a lot of the run-on sentences after I got some sleep.

Grrl: I left the hot Brazillian men in Brazil. I didn't have my camera.

Nutty and Beks: Thanks. : )

Anonymous Jen: Thanks, I received your e-mail.

J.A.P: Thanks. They're my little mini-me's. ; )

Wed Sep 06, 08:47:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Terri the terrific says...

What adorable-looking children!
But how on earth do you get the sari to stay in place?

Wed Sep 06, 10:08:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

The beauty and the luck of having a sibling..

Think the boy and the girl are lucky to have each other.. love the way look so close :)

they should thank you and they will thank you soon :)

Thu Sep 07, 03:34:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Me says...

The kids are adorable and I agree with Beks, the girl is a definite scene stealer.
Did you guys have the Onam meal on leaves?

Sat Sep 09, 11:16:00 AM CDT  
Blogger AB says...

But how come the boy didn't have a traditional dress??

Mon Sep 11, 01:29:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Madame Mahima says...

the kids are such lovelies!
i didnt know Onam was celebrated with cake?? :P
that was too cute!

Mon Sep 11, 10:07:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Jay says...

That cake is unbelievably cute, as are your kids. While I do like colourful cakes (as you know), I don't particularly like small children (as you know), so this is quite a compliment to your genes.

And your husband's, of course.

Tue Sep 12, 09:59:00 AM CDT  
Blogger shakester says...

all the best with work Mint....been a while...
and as ever...lovely pics.... touchwood

Tue Sep 12, 10:44:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Cee Kay says...

Lovely pictures! Your daughter looks adorable in the sari! It must be nice to have family around during festivals. I miss mine at those times...

Wed Sep 13, 12:07:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

My son has the exact shoes as your son. And he started first grade this year too. Yay!

Wed Sep 13, 02:29:00 PM CDT  
Blogger sinusoidally says...

That last picture of the two of them is such a treasure.

Wed Sep 13, 11:50:00 PM CDT  
Blogger suemamma says...

Happy Onam belatedly Mint. Was off in Chennai for Onam with the family. Guess the boys didn't want to try the mundus! Your daughter looks adorable.

Thu Sep 14, 11:59:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Tartrazina says...

gosh they're gorgeous! dropping by after a long while! nice pics! waiting for more posts Mint.. hurry :o)

Sat Sep 16, 06:46:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Sunrayz says...

The girl's a star Mint! :)
Where are those pics from Brazil girl?!

Sun Sep 17, 06:44:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home