Monday, January 28, 2008

Homeward Bound



Hi y'all. I noticed I used to say that all the time but Britney Spears gave "y'all" a bad name. Anyway I've been a bit busy with the holidays and all (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Arbor Day, etc). OK, maybe not Arbor Day but still. I can't tell you how much I've travelled in the past few months. Everywhere from Canada to India. I've collected 30K miles in the last few month but luckily most has been with the family. A quick recap since my last post. Halloween was nice. Boy was Harry Potter and Girl was Dora and then a dinosaur (Don't ask. She's only 3 and a half and she's already demanding not to be photographed in the same outfit twice). Thanksgiving nice. Turkey and then ham with some pie in between. Christmas was quiet. Almost my entire family was already in India at that point. X-mas day was spent with D's family which i love despite his step-dad's ignorance. ("I saw in National Geographics that you can't walk around in India because monkeys will steal your purse"). My eyeballs hurt from rolling so hard. Finally we left for India which was so awesome. The kids had a super-fantastic time and are already asking when they can go back. Kerala has changed so much in the last 2 years since our last trip and I can't wait to go back. My only wish is that drivers would follow traffic regulations as a law versus just some guideline or tip to be ignored. I rarely got into a car without thinking at least 3 times that i was going to die. Dude. Buses? have no sense of their size and pure girth on the road. It was crazy. Anyway. Had a awesome time but now I'm back in Chicago where the weather sucks harder than a leech at a blood bank. I leave for California on Wednesday for one night and all I keep thinking is that I'll have 12 solid hours of above-freezing temperatures. Speaking of weather I realized that I'm one ignorant Indian and I should have my desi-card revoked. I've really spent all my previous trips to India in Kerala. This time we flew through Deli and damn. It was cold. Not a bad-cold but like a beautiful I-need-a-sweater-let's-stay snuggled-in-bed-all-morning cold. We're definitely spending more time in Delhi next trip. And in my "It's a Small World" file I saw Em on t.v. while I was in Delhi. I was all into the discussion about blogging and the Girl liked Em's hair however the boy pitched a fit because he wanted to get back to Pokemon in Hindi. I needed to remind him that he didn't know a lick of Hindi but I guess Pokemon crosses all language barriers. (I noticed it was on in Portuguese when I was in Brazil last year). Also, Girl now wants to be a Bollywood actress. We saw Om Shanti Om while in Kerala and now the Girl needs to watch the videos repeatedly on YouTube. Even D watches the video but I think it's because it's a ton of SUPERhot Indian women dancing. Is there something they feed these women to be that hot?? The hair. The skin. The ability to shake their money maker in a sari.

Here's a few pics I uploaded:
Train Station-Calicut
The Boy trying to look disinterested.

Train Station-Calicut
Better

Kovalam

IMG_6128

IMG_6119

We took 1, 213 pictures and even created a movie that we burned on DVD before we left. I'll upload to my YouTube account when I get a chance.

Bottom line: had a great time in India and now am very depressed. And cold. AND I lost my links to other blogs in my sidebar and can't get them back up so I guess that makes me whiny too. Anybody know how to fix that?

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Me says...

Yeeaaah! you are back!!!
And your post makes me want to go to India now.

Mon Jan 28, 10:10:00 PM CST  
Blogger shakester says...

hello hello
happy new year and all that!

were in India too. still neglecting the blogworld muchly

Mon Jan 28, 11:29:00 PM CST  
Blogger sinusoidally says...

Did you just say (write) Deli? So what was your favorite sandwich there? :-)

Tue Jan 29, 12:37:00 AM CST  
Blogger La vida Loca says...

try finding them from previous comments

Tue Jan 29, 01:28:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

Finally! You're back!
You do realise how absolutely gorgeous your kids are, right? right? Can i borrow some genes - whose ever they have inherited.

Tue Jan 29, 04:14:00 AM CST  
Blogger Rohini says...

The Boy and Girl look so grown up...

Tue Jan 29, 05:45:00 AM CST  
Blogger 30in2005 says...

YAY! you are back. Bet you had no idea how much the blogworld missed you and how many times (a gazillion in case you NEED to know) I checked your blog to see if you posted.....

I want to know the outcome of said sock game. Who won?

Wed Jan 30, 10:43:00 AM CST  
Blogger Rachna says...

I can never understand this thing about desi parents: No offence meant, but WHY don't you teach your kids Hindi?
Hamari rashtriya bhasha hai na?
Aur Desh me bina hindi ke to nahi chalta...
I have really often wondered about this? What is the reasoning?
Is it because you look down upon it in some way?
Please do not take this offensively- I am here as myself, and will probably be a parent too in a couple of years. but yes, I think it is VERY important to teach my kids Hindi!!!!

Fri Feb 01, 01:13:00 PM CST  
Blogger now a Münchnerin? says...

Your blog makes me miss Kerala, although I have not lived there for more than 10 years.

Fri Feb 01, 05:29:00 PM CST  
Blogger hillgrandmom says...

Rachna she probably didn't teach her kids Hindi because her 'mother tongue' maa ki bhasha' is Malayalam! sorry Mint answered for you.
Yay, you are back and when were you around these parts? It's still pleasant here--surprisingly so.

Thu Feb 07, 09:04:00 AM CST  
Blogger Wandernut says...

the girl's so prettttyyy....
and the boy's got the dark, brooding look girls love. gosh, can't imagine them as teenagers :)

missed you loads, mint!

Mon Feb 25, 08:19:00 PM CST  
Blogger Rat says...

Hey hey hey,

Guess who popped by your blog !! You came to india again ! So nice.. Hope you didnt come to Chennai without calling me.. Sorry I have been so out of touch.. Hope all is good.. congrats on 12 years.. The kids look cute as !!

Love,
Rat

Thu Mar 20, 02:49:00 PM CDT  
Blogger TNL says...

Your kids are beautiful!

cheers,ts

Mon Oct 27, 09:59:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Frances says...

These kids are surely adorable. Maybe you could also have them check new Halloween outfits from Buy Costumes and see which ones would fit them!

Tue Nov 13, 12:37:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home