Tuesday, May 08, 2007

If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts*



*Couting Crows

If I had a dollar for every half-a$$ post that I started I'd be a very rich woman.

Between travelling for work and the kids extracurricular activities I can barely see straight. I've been unwinding by staying up late and watching movies on cable. My parents and older sister went to see the Namesake this past weekend which they loved. The other night I saw an odd but great one; Lovers of the Artic Circle is a quirky love story from Spain which is one of the best it's-1am-and-I-can't-sleep movies. Tonight however I'm lucky enough to be watching one of my all-time faves; Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. This movie is pure brilliance to me. Is it better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?

One of my best friends is going through a break-up (sort of). I say sort of because she's willing to bend for him and hey, that's totally her prerogative. It's easy for me to judge from the comforts of my suburban existence. It's easy for me to spout the cliches about "more fish in the sea" and "that which doesn't kill you blah blah blah." I'm lucky that time has healed the scars of my heartache. If I could invent a bandage that would speed up the process of healing, I'd give it out for free. I would give it to the 16 year old who thinks that the unrequited love of a classmate is the end of life as she knows it. I would give it to the 20 year old college student who pines for the girl in his English class to the point of despair. I wouldn't charge a penny for my magical bandage.

Hmmm...there's a reality show on called "Jon and Kate Plus 8". It's about a married couple that had 5 year old twins and decided they wanted one more. They take fertility drugs and boom!..she's pregnant with sextuplets. This is the 2nd time I've seen this how and I'm amazed that the woman makes no qualms about having to be a bitch. She's constantly belittling her husband who looks like a broken shell. The kids look happy enough...the parents look haggard. Can you imagine 8 kids under the age of 8?? I can barely find matching socks as it is with 2.

Anyway back to my magical bandage. It wouldn't remove all the pain, only decrease the time the pain lingers. I think you need that pain of a break-up as a reminder you're alive. However I could tweak it so it prevents you from doing dumb things like sending that e-mail where you beg for him/her back or that drunk-dialing phone call where you break down and cry *shudder*. My bandage would help heal your mind so that every single song, sight and smell no longer reminds you of them.

Anyway I wish I had that bandage now to help my friend.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger desi witch says...

remember , MC, i'm first in line for the bandage.

Tue May 08, 05:28:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Sue says...

While a bandage isn't around there are always ice cream and books. They helped me, at least. Oh, and chocolate cake. With lots of frosting.

One should never underestimate the therapeutic powers of hedonism.

Wed May 09, 01:08:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Tartrazina says...

oh magical bandage where art thou :)

Wed May 09, 01:33:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Kochukandhari says...

I have some friens who could do with this magical bandage.

Sun May 13, 03:06:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Cee Kay says...

Magical bandage sounds good! Now, do you have one for post-partum depression? :(

Mon May 14, 12:53:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wandernut says...

Eternal Sunshine made me feel all funny inside.

When Jim Carrey said 'Okay... Okay', did he mean it's okay for them to end things? It was open ended wasn't it? It's sad to think they ended what they had.

Tue May 15, 03:39:00 AM CDT  
Blogger lawyeramma says...

very nice post....and the magical bandage sounds...ummm...for lack of a better word "magical".

i do agree with sue though about the therapeutic powers of hedonism!

Wed May 16, 05:40:00 AM CDT  
Blogger the mad momma says...

ummmm... i think we'd all queue up for the bandage for various reasons.

Thu May 17, 02:17:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Me says...

Send the magic bandage my way, have some friends who need it.

Thu May 17, 07:54:00 AM CDT  
Blogger That Girl says...

is she married?
breakups are terrible. i had my heart torn out. luckily i found it again.sniff. youre sweet.

and im trying to explain with no results to Ed WHY a huge family is sometimes BAD NEWS!

Fri May 18, 08:14:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home