Friday, November 03, 2006

But I just can't convince myself I couldn't live with no one else



Is making a post out of answering comments really lame? Yes? *groans* I'm such a lazy blogger. (Quickly, the curls are from D's side of the family). : )

Today I received a postcard from the fabulous D and Shakey who recently got back from a holiday in Thailand. (Thank you guys so very, very much) . I've thought before about which bloggers would be cool to have as neighbors and they're definitely in my top 5. I need people who get D's and my sense of humor. People who I would feel ok with rummaging though my cabinets for cereal at random times of the day. People who know politics but can still tell me who the latest Hollywood break-ups are. People who have a wanderlust.

I love my little neighborhood because it's like a little global village. We live on the corner lot and only have one direct next door neighbor. When we moved in we were told that the next door house had also recently sold and when I saw the windows open and the gleam of newly stained hardwood floors I imagined all sorts of cool women I could befriend. When I was told that it was a gay couple my imagination went wild with thoughts of fabulous brunches and advice on hairstyles. Alas Don and BL are the the nicest yet most straightest gay couple I have ever met. *sigh* The closest that I've come to a fabulous brunch was the time I helped throw a shower when they adopted their second child. I've never received help with my hair but instead have had indepth conversations about school districts and academic standards. Both D's and my families like them and their adorable children although my mother-in-law says stuff like "I think the gays should have civil rights but not marriage because that's for normal people". I'm lucky that I didn't roll my eyes so hard that they permanently set in the back of my head. The notion that "normal" is based on what happens behind closed doors is lost on me but she's 75 so I'm willing to cut her slack. Besides, I stopped analyzing the ignorant stuff my inlaws say a long time ago. Anyway, back to neighbors, I couldn't ask for better neighbors. Now D wants to move further into white Suburbia and I'm terrified at the possibility of moving somewhere with a bunch of stepford wives. I don't wanna wear sensible khakis or sweater sets. The rare time I do cook something fancy it usually contains less than 5 ingredients. I don't have a cutesy dog that I dress up or a purse that costs more than my mortgage.

Anyway, I digress. Thanks again to my virtual neighbors.

7 Comments:

Blogger Madame Mahima says...

ive heard and seen (in 'desperate housewives and in the indian community in general) that theres a lot of competition amongst these stepford wife-types...
if i were ure neighbour, kelso and mint could be friends...or not :S kelso's a bit of a wuss..(its SO embarassing sometimes.)

Sat Nov 04, 01:00:00 AM CST  
Blogger That Girl says...

i like living in :interesting" neighborhoods. thankfully. Ed is the type who cant stand too much of white going around...somedays i mistake him for Latino!! the way he rattles off spanish..lol...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOUSEWARMING parties!!! hairdo dates!!! window shopping!! laughing over silly things when your neighbor drops by...and ofcourse who ever is my neighbor will be SURE to get a sample of whatever ive cooked that day!!!... im SO looking forward to "starting" real married life!!

Sun Nov 05, 09:34:00 AM CST  
Blogger shakester says...

you're most welcome! writing postcards while travelling is a great feeling.

Sun Nov 05, 10:13:00 PM CST  
Blogger shakester says...

Couldn't comment properly from office.
Nice, and interesting, to see what you think of us- would be quite fun to be neighbours (your kids are Adorable!)....but I hardly ever talk politics...:)

Mon Nov 06, 09:00:00 AM CST  
Blogger Artnavy says...

very interesting template- and posts- teh few that i read

Wed Nov 08, 05:14:00 AM CST  
Blogger hillgrandmom says...

interesting post! are stepford wife types as bad as they are made out to be?

Wed Nov 15, 08:26:00 AM CST  
Blogger Keerti Prasad says...

U write well.. keep posting!

Fri Dec 22, 01:37:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home