Wednesday, October 04, 2006

When we were young



Tomorrow D is off on his annual holiday with his mom and sisters. For those unaware of the genesis of these trips it started about 4 years ago when the 4 of them had to travel to recover the personal possessions of his brother who passed away suddenly out of state. They vowed that they would continue to come together under better circumstances. I like that he gets time alone with them although he describes theses trips as estrogen-overload. For the second year in a row they are heading to New York. I told him he can be Miranda in their recreation of Sex and the City. (For the record he wasn't amused by the analogy although I giggled uncontrollably).

This leaves me to deal with 2 kids, a dog, a household and impending work deadlines by myself until next Tuesday. I know people do it all the time. I know there are single parents out there who handle it in stride and although I will make it through and we'll be fine, I fear I may lose more than a few brain cells in the process. The knowledge that D is a major part of my life is only going to be highlighted in his absence. I feel a migraine coming on.

The hilarious part of the trip (for me) is that D's mom and one of his sisters are CHEAP. I was going to say frugal but the term cheap is more appropriate. Because of their cheapness the 4 of them are sharing one hotel room, although this time it's a suite. On the last trip D had to share a bed with his mom for 2 nights. He called me one night to tell me that he missed us and I asked if his mother enjoyed spooning as much as I did. (The man clearly doesn't appreciate my humor).

Finally I was tagged by Bananarama

8 things about myself:

1. I startle easily. Even if it's something on TV, I jump. It's kinda embarrassing.

2. In general I hate cheese. I hate cream sauces or cheese on my sandwhich. Ironically my favorite sandwich is tomato mozzarella. (I'm an enigma wrapped in a conundrum).

3. As I've aged I notice that when I'm alone I talk to myself. Not conversations perse but I catch myself answering a question that I asked in my head.

4. I want a minivan. It's not some strange wish to fully sucumb in being a suburban soccer mom. I just want more space. I want to take long trips without having to turn around and yell "Everyone keep your hands to yourself!"

5. My nightly ritual incudes; brush teeth, wash face, pat dry, lotion face, lotion neck lotion hands/arms, chap stick, brush hair. I'm like a nocturnal version of Rain Man.

6. I cannot sleep (or even lay down) in a room if the closet door is open. I'm sure it's based in being afraid of nightime monsters when I was a kid.

I can't think of anything for 7 or 8.

I tag Jay, Em, Sines, Box, Mahima, Nutty, Sunrayz and Penny Lane.

16 Comments:

Blogger Kochukandhari says...

I have the exact same fear of sleeping with the closet door open - I just can't...this is so funny!

Wed Oct 04, 10:43:00 PM CDT  
Blogger eM says...

thanks for ze tag. it looks like fun, so i will do. and you hate CHEESE? Really? how could you, mint? i feel a little bit betrayed now. :(

Wed Oct 04, 11:30:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Tartrazina says...

oh no, one less person for me to tag!!

Thu Oct 05, 03:04:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Zaphod says...

but...cheese? look, i dont like cheddar....but...brie? emmenthal? gouda with paprika? no?

Thu Oct 05, 04:40:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Jay says...

OMG I can't believe you called him Miranda! NOBODY wants to be Miranda - she's the ugly one! I mean, Carrie's no beauty - you could wait out the rain under that chin of hers. But Miranda, she's plaaaaaain. No wonder he wasn't amused.

And then you go on to diss him Mommy.

Thu Oct 05, 07:49:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Terri the terrific says...

You too, Mint? Don't worry, it'll be fine without the husband. Just put Chutney in charge!

Thu Oct 05, 03:41:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Penny Lane says...

I watched a really b-grade horror movie called The Boogeyman... haha... about the scary monster who hides in the closet and sucked up this little boy's dad... it was just really hilarious because of how b-grade it was!!

By the way, did the tag already a couple of posts back.

Thu Oct 05, 10:32:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Prerona says...

i startle easily too!

Fri Oct 06, 04:03:00 AM CDT  
Blogger sinusoidally says...

I wrote a post involving 10 things about me before realizing that you have tagged me. I am just going to use it as a tag because I like you. :-)
Btw you didn't reply to my email.

Fri Oct 06, 03:49:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Madame Mahima says...

u hate CHEESE?!
oh minty. my heart is le broken!
thank u for the tag.. it shall be up soon(ish)
eww the spooning crack was gross..poor D *cackle*

Mon Oct 09, 05:00:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Rukmini says...

Oh god I have the closet door thing, too. I think the only thing worse than being neurotic, is being the Common or Garden Variety of Neurotic. And reading this post, has made it worse because now when I'm drifting off, my brain does a quick thought-chain thing, beginning at the post, and reminds me to freak out. Hehe maybe I AM uniquely wierd:)

Tue Oct 10, 05:29:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Sudipta Chatterjee says...

Rejoice!! Complete reign over the entire house for so much time. And now you can actually pamper yourself and mess up the house!! :D

Tue Oct 10, 07:18:00 AM CDT  
Blogger P says...

Nicely done!
But..no cheese? none at all??

Wed Oct 11, 02:17:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Sheetal says...

Hi there!
I have just stumbled across your blog - love it :)

Will definitely visit again soon..
Sheetal (South Africa)

Thu Oct 12, 11:08:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Cee Kay says...

Oh Mint! How I wish my husband would take a vacation (even a 2 day trip would be enough) with my daughter and his parents (who are visiting us these days :D)!! I would be the "Queen-Of-The-Remote" as I call it.

Spooning? Heh! Love your sense of humor.

Fri Oct 13, 09:36:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

This is from a while back ..so kids, housework, dog and deadlines must have been managed everything back to normal now. Hope all went well.

Totally relate to the closet door having to be closed.. for me its also the bathroom door.. or maybe its all doors closed and windows open.

Thu Oct 19, 02:41:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home