Monday, September 05, 2005

Cracklin' Rosie



Hello, my name is Mint and I got this post idea from Madame Mahima.

Songs and or CDs that bring back a flood of memories every time I hear them: (not to be confused with the soundtrack of my life which is a completely different post)

Soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever- Bee Gees
This was the first album my parent's bought after settling in the States. I can still clearly picture John Travolta on the cover in his white disco suit. I was probably about 5 years old when I first belted out More than a woman, more than a woman to meeee. Other notables in my parents collection included every Yesudas album known to man, Elvis -Live in Hawaii, and The Best of Kenny Rogers.

Let's Go Fly a Kite from the movie Mary Poppins
First movie I went to with my mom. I was mesmerized by Julie Andrews and the whole theater experience. I asked for a kite every birthday/Christmas for years after because of this song.

Joshua Tree-U2
Every single song on it. Kevin K played the tape for us while my sister was dropping him home after church youth group and my world changed. I loved Bono and the boys on Unforgettable Fire but I was now officially in love with them. I won tickets to see them in Chicago about 2 months later and Nik and I got a ride to and from the show from a youth group boy named Sean. I was under the impression that Sean and his friend Chris were assured of getting scalper tickets but when they didn't, Sean dropped Chris back home and then waited for us in his car. Nik says Sean liked me. I think he was just being nice and I'm pretty sure he was/is gay.

Blue Dress- Depeche Mode
First date with W, he made me a mix tape that served as a soundtrack for the night. I remember going for Turkish food in Andersonville and having this song on in the background. When I noted how much I liked it, he officially christened it "our song". I haven't heard this song in years.

Soundtrack to the Hindi film Hum
Spent 10 months in India that changed my life. My cousin owned this movie and we watched it over and over again. It was so cheesy good.

I'm the Only One- Melissa Etheridge
Broke it off with a guy I had been seeing a few months. Listened to this song over and over and thought about how I was so much better than "her". I now realize she and I were fine. He was the problem.

Big Time Sensuality-Bjork
Went dancing with 4 of my closest friends and had one of the best times of my life. One of those everything was perfect, you'll never be able to recreate it sort of nights. I distinctly remember the remix of this song coming on and just feeling such bliss. (Just for the record, according to one of her fansites "Big Time Sensuality" has little to do with sex. The song is about Bjork's feelings for her working-partner and co-producer.."

Waiting in Vain- Annie Lennox
My partner at my old job was dumped by her boyfriend of 5 years. He waited until she finished settling him into his new medical practice before he broke the news. The lyrics are so perfect and Annie Lennox is the only one besides Bob Marley to do the song justice. I played the song for her once and she proceeded to listen to it everyday for a month. (Footnote: I introduced her to a good friend at my wedding and I'm happy to report they have been married 4 years and have 2 beautiful boys. The Indian Pimp strikes again!)

Cracklin' Rosie- Neil Diamond
D and I driving to Wisconsin to visit his mom with this song blaring. I suppose if we had a song, this would be it. We do a kick-ass karaoke version in the car for the kids. The boy is amused by it now...wait until he's 16.

Hey Ya- Outkast
It was very overplayed right during the time I was pregnant with the Girl. I got sick one time while it was playing and from that day on, for the next 4-6 months, I would dry-heave everytime I heard it. It was like some sort of Pavlovian response. I can hear it now with no problems.

Summer Nights from the movie Grease
OK. There's no specific memory but I will drop everything I'm doing and sing along every time I hear this song. Summer days drifting away, to oh oh the summer nights. Damn good song.

10 Comments:

Blogger Arjun says...

I like your selection, Mint. Reminded me of, for instance, the time I used to spend watching Mary Poppins! ;)

Mon Sep 05, 10:31:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wandernut says...

Yeah, I remember watching John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever as a kid and trying to imitate his walk (strut).

My own Mary Poppin song is "A spoonful of sugar" ;)

And my favourite Hindi soundtrack (OH, BOLLYWOOD IS HUGE HERE!) is Kal Ho Naa Ho... Love that song. My best friend (she's not Indian), knows all the words to Kal Ho Naa Ho AND Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.

;)

Mon Sep 05, 09:01:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

Another nice list Mint. I love Big Time Sensuality.

Priya

Mon Sep 05, 09:16:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

Ditto with the the Kenny Rogers and the Elvis music from Mom. To this day, the sound of Elvis music gives me an overpowering urge to clean the house.

Mon Sep 05, 09:40:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Rat says...

I'm so copying your idea !!! Summer nights is one of my all time favorite , drop everything and groove songs as well.

Mon Sep 05, 11:12:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Vignesh says...

Yes... Joshua Tree... damned good album...

Tue Sep 06, 02:51:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Penny Lane says...

I'm willing to drop everything and start singing/jiving to any of the Grease songs... My fav Mary Poppins song is Supercalifragilictus Expialidocious... When I was a kid, I knew how to spell that!

Tue Sep 06, 02:53:00 AM CDT  
Blogger D says...

nice list. nice memories... brought back some of mine! i wanted to be sandy... but trust me i was anything (or anyone?)but her!!!

Tue Sep 06, 03:13:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Bonatellis says...

ahhh, i just bought Mary Poppins this weekend to add to my movie collection :)

Tue Sep 06, 11:09:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Madame Mahima says...

awesome-o minty =D

Some of the songs i dont think ive heard (way before my time ;) hahaha hows that for making u feel old!?!?)

i used to LOVE mary poppins...i think i watched it every other day till i was 10!

Wed Sep 07, 06:59:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home