Sunday, July 24, 2005

Mr Jones



One of our neighbors passed away on Friday. He and his wife were on holiday in his native Puerto Rico when he suddenly had an aneurysm and went into a deep coma. He never recovered and was taken off life support on Friday. As far as neighbors are concerned, this man was in the hall of fame. His lawn never had a blade of grass out of place. When you were outside working on a project, he was the first to come over and offer help or tools or just general support. His youngest just graduated high school and was off to college. He and his wife were just starting a new chapter in their lives when BAM.

As with all sudden deaths, you can't help but reflect on your own past, present and future. It's selfish in light of the loss but I'll chalk it up to human nature. I have some definitive goals for different milestones in my life. I have always been of the mindset that the world is better experienced rather than talked about. I know at some point you have no control over the universe, but still. There are general things I would like to accomplish by the time I'm 35, 40, 50, etc. Some plans involve my family and some are just for me, myself and I. I recently made some kick-ass plans for when I turn 50 and I will be really disappointed if I can't see them through.

If something were to suddenly happen all I can do is hope that the people closest to me will know how much I loved and appreciated their presence in my life. I know this post should be about enjoying the here and now but I'm not feeling particularly philosophical tonight. Happy-go-lucky Mint will be back tomorrow.