Friday, July 15, 2005

It's the end of the world as we know it...



and I feel fine.

So D and I took the afternoon off yesterday and saw War of The Worlds. I was actually prepared to go by myself until D announced in the morning that he wanted to come with.

War of the Worlds. I won't spoil the ending for anyone who wants to see it but basically aliens come to Earth and use humans for target practice. Word of advice to my fellow earthlings: If stuff starts rocketing down from outer space and the core of the ground below you starts to crack, you may want to run. Don't stand around and go "Is that a crater. Oh, the crater is getting bigger. Wow. The crater just ate that car. Look! There are mechanical tentacles coming out of the crater..." After seeing this movie, my ass would have been gone before the first question was asked. Also, I will now be little more pensive during lighting storms (cryptic message only those who saw the movie will understand). The special effects were pretty amazing although I found some of the acting over the top. The other thing that annoyed me...everyone had their teeth whitened. Teeth whitening is all the rage in the US. Unfortunately if you are supposed to look like you've been dodging blood-sucking creatures for 2 days with little food or sleep, having teeth as bright as a solar flare is a bit distracting. The ending... well.. let's just say I was disappointed in the ending. All in all an entertaining afternoon.

One of the highlights of the movie was the trailer for Elizabethtown , the new Cameron Crowe film due out in October. I'm a huge Cameron Crowe fan. His scripts always give an added dimension to his characters that you can't help falling in love with. For those not familiar with the genius that is Cameron Crowe, his other films include Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Say Anything, Jerry McGuire and Almost Famous. I always buy the soundtrack to all his films because he has amazing taste in music. Elizabethtown stars Orlando Bloom and Kristin Dunst and looks good.

Tomorrow is D's b-day and I have a secret. In my Margarita-induced state the other night, my sister J (the Vet) finally convinced me that we should get a puppy. D has been wanting one for years but there has always been obstacles to overcome. Living in a no-pets-allowed condo. Having the Boy. Construction on the house. Having the Girl. I'm in an ideal situation working from home plus I have J at a practice closeby to take care of all my veterinary needs. So we are officially on Puppy Alert 2005. J is on the look out for a healthy hound puppy for adoption and thanks to the Girl, the kitchen is already puppy-proof. Unfortunately it won't be in time for his birthday tomorrow so until it arrives, he's getting new undershirts and boxers.

Have a good weekend!

16 Comments:

Blogger Rat says...

oooh cool your getting the puppy !!! What did you think of tom cruise's nervous breakdowns in the movie ?

Fri Jul 15, 12:46:00 PM CDT  
Blogger sameer says...

wow, a puppy!! i've always always wanted a puppy. now we'll have picutres of puppy! what are you going to call hiM or her!

Fri Jul 15, 04:11:00 PM CDT  
Blogger sameer says...

how about a puppy-cd exchange? you send over a puppy and i'll send you a cd. :P

Fri Jul 15, 07:40:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Heh Heh says...

yes. the american dream.

Fri Jul 15, 09:08:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Pink says...

Please post pics of the puppy when you get it!

Sat Jul 16, 01:20:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Tartrazina says...

hey mint! thanx for your encouragement! and happy birthday to D... and i just saw the pictures of TL's sooper frikken coolio house!!! fuckeroonie!!!

Sat Jul 16, 01:32:00 AM CDT  
Blogger That Girl says...

CHO CHWEEET!!! awwwww i WANT a puppy so bad!! but theres no one to take care of it when im gone all day at work!!! SNIFF!!

soooooo sweet!!( ok i already said that):D

Sat Jul 16, 11:51:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Penny Lane says...

I think I want to cry... I've been "dog-less" for 3 years now and it sucks! Shitty apartment and 50 hours away from home per week will not allow me this pleasure! What breed are you getting?

Sat Jul 16, 09:19:00 PM CDT  
Blogger sameer says...

get a lab! or a golden retriever!

Sat Jul 16, 10:07:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Jay says...

Ooooooooohhhhh!!! Today we took a long walk in a huge park and all we saw were people with dogs everywhere. I was just so tempted to run off with one.

Get a cute puppy please, and post the pics. I'll adopt yours through this blog and live vicariously through you.

-throws a tin of Whiskas to Mint-

Sat Jul 16, 10:11:00 PM CDT  
Blogger sameer says...

i heard the song today! :)

Sat Jul 16, 11:29:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Vignesh says...

Whoa ! I was thinking of a puppy ever since I saw that cute lite furball yesterday !! Though I probably won't coz its going to be IMPOSSIBLE to take care of !!

Mon Jul 18, 02:38:00 AM CDT  
Blogger AB says...

Ohh nobody ever gifted me a puppy. I want one so badly. My flatmates threaten to walk out if I get one:( Do post your puppy's pic.

Mon Jul 18, 03:33:00 AM CDT  
Blogger . says...

ah, I see Cameron Crowe here as well, mint:)
I have missed dogs for a few years now...I stop and gush at dogs on the road, sometimes feeling foolish but always warmed.
you lucky thing you:)
(um, and D)

Mon Jul 18, 10:51:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Anurag says...

Hey, I got a puppy for my birthday once. :) It was one of the best gifts ever. She lived till a ripe age of 11. :))

Tue Jul 19, 12:55:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Manish Bhatt says...

Cameron Crowe is hubby to rock-chick-supremo Nancy Wilson, the erswhile leading lady of 'Heart'. Remember 'All I wanna do is make love to you'and 'Dog and Butterfly'? And 'Almost Famous' is semi-autobiographical with Cameron Crowe himself as the protagonist journo-kid. But maybe y'all already know all that.

However, that explains the fabulous OST's.

Tue Jul 19, 05:49:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home