Sunday, September 04, 2005

Tupelo Honey



Thanks for all the concern regarding the last post but can't a girl have a bad morning? I'm actually fine. Most mornings are chaotic but some days the planets align themselves in a certain way and everything that can go wrong, will go wrong at the exact same moment. I had forgotten about my morning until I reread the post. In all honesty it wasn't as bed as it sounded...

The weekend's been good. J's wedding is less than 2 weeks away so my father is in full freak-out mode now. We're estimating a total 220 with people flying in from all over the US as well as Switzerland and London. My cousin from London is coming in a few days before the wedding and is staying the week after so I'm very excited to show her the sites. I'm also trying to be a good MOH (maid of honor) and booked a spa day for J the week before the wedding. She's a little worried that there's a string of hurricanes brewing around Jamaica right in time for her honeymoon. It is what it is, I tell her. I use that phrase a lot these days. It's become my mantra.

On Saturday we went to friend's house for their son's birthday. This is my friend who knew the pre-kids Mint. It's always fun to see her husband interact with all the kids. He's a shaved head, tattoo-clad, Harley-riding guy with a very kind heart. I noticed that the dragon tattoo that was trailing down his arm is now gone. Let this be a lesson for all you kids considering tattoos; it's hard for corporate bosses to take you seriously when you have mystical creatures inked all over visible parts of your body.

Paul
He's not as scary as he looks.

The party was fun in a crazy, free-for-all sort of way. They had a pinata in the shape of a dragon and the kids tried to break it open with a toy sword. I thought it was an odd choice for a 6-year old's party and the whole things had a Lord of the Flies feel to it as kids were yelling "Hit it in the head! Cut it's head off!"

pinata1
The boy hitting the pinata.

cake
Cake.

As you can see I'm too lazy to remove names.

We went out to dinner at a kid-friendly place with video games.

driving2
Luckily the kids are still at the phase where it's just fun to sit at the machine and pretend to play.

Today, D took the kid's to Wisconsin for his nephew's birthday. J came over after checking in at the hospital and we worked on the wedding programs. I pulled out one of the greatest books I own: Love Letter; An Anthology of Passion. It is a collection of quotes, love letters and poetry written by and for various writers and poets. It was a little sad to look at because I bought this book years ago on a business trip to New Orleans. I can still picture the cute little shop in the French Quarter that I predict is in ruins now post Hurricane Katrina. As with my wedding, we used quotes from this book throughout the program.

I leave you now with a few of my favorites:

I want you for always - days, years, eternities.
Robert Schumann, German composer to Clara Wieck, German pianist and his future wife
April 15, 1838.

I have made it my honour and my religion to love you desperately.
Marianna Alcoforado a Portuguese nun to Noel Bouton (Marquis de Chamilly), 1668.

13 Comments:

Blogger Wandernut says...

I love how curly the Girl's hair is.
If she was here I'd prolly hug her to bits!

Sun Sep 04, 08:41:00 PM CDT  
Blogger D says...

"I want you for always - days, years, eternities." that is truly beautiful.
here's to - love, dragons on cakes, curly hair, and bad days :)

Sun Sep 04, 09:44:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Penny Lane says...

Ok, that line from the Portugeuse nun... now, isn't she supposed to be saying these things to God, not some Marquis de Chamilly guy?

Sun Sep 04, 10:30:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Rat says...

A party with a "Lord of the Flies" sounds quite scary !!!!

Sometimes even I just sit on the chairs and pretend to play the video games :)

Sun Sep 04, 11:26:00 PM CDT  
Blogger eM says...

I love the Girl's head. (Since that's all I've seen of her.) Seriously adorable. But relax, we all have bad mornings. Bad WEEKS sometimes. :) And I want to go to a birthday party with an ex-biker and a dragon pinata too. Hmmph. Mint you have all the fun.

Sun Sep 04, 11:57:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Heh Heh says...

what i feel a bit sad about is that these notions of a romance have become somewhat obsolete in an increasingly cynical world.
or maybe its me that has grown cynical.

Mon Sep 05, 12:02:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Vignesh says...

So how do you do it ? Take pictures of the back of their heads that is... Like do you say 'Oh, look there' and make them turn around and CLICK ! Or do you walk around behind them for like ages, waiting for that perfect cute as all heck back of the head shot ?

:)

Mon Sep 05, 03:00:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Sunrayz says...

On another vein,my fav lines from the movies is - 'you make me want to be a better man'- from 'Jerry Maguire'...
I am a sucker for all of this mushy stuff.I still believe it works :) Really happy to see that things are going better for you.

Mon Sep 05, 03:04:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Jay says...

LOL I've been wondering the same thing as Viggie - your friends must really wonder why you can't seem to take a proper photo!

"And this is the Boy's left foot... and D's arm, and oh, here's the back of the Girl's head again."

Mon Sep 05, 03:27:00 AM CDT  
Blogger shakester says...

eh, bad days are just fine (even necessary) but disabled comments on that one, lola! food for thought, was that....:)

Mon Sep 05, 05:01:00 AM CDT  
Blogger shakester says...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Mon Sep 05, 05:01:00 AM CDT  
Blogger That Girl says...

sigh...thats so romantic...and what a yummy cake.. i wanna dive right into it.. the Girl looks like she fits right in wit DA bwais!!

Mon Sep 05, 10:16:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

Wandernut-I have no idea what to do with her hair. She's like the Indian Shirley Temple.

D- Cheers D!

Penny- Hey, I said it was pretty. I didn't say it was right. : )

Rat- I have to admit I was little scared.

eM- Your take on it sounds so nice when you leave out 10 kids screaming "Cut it's head off! Give me candy!!"

HWSNBF- You're right. I wonder if I would roll my eyes if someone wrote me that. Also, you are a wee bit cynical. : )

Vig- I don't tell them anything and it's actually harder than it looks to get blog-ready pictures. I have 1 back of the head shot for every 25 full frontal shot.

Sun- (meekly) I've never seen Jerry Maguire BUT I know friends who had the verse "You complete me" engraved on their wedding bands because of that movie.

Jay- Every once in a while I get asked "why are you taking all those pictures?".

akr- Apparently Lola doesn't need the external validation that Mint does : )

Grrl- LOL. Leave it to you to focus on the cake.

Mon Sep 05, 09:15:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home