Monday, August 29, 2005

Pressure Drop



To My Dearest, Craziest Project Manager-

For the life of me, I just can't figure you out. One day you shoot off e-mails that are so rude and demeaning and the next you act as if we are all your best friends. Your mood swings are disconcerting. When I see your name appear on the caller ID, I cringe. Sometimes I pick up..sometimes I don't. I'm glad that you are supportive of me in this whole system validation issue. I know little about computers and we did the best we could given we had no training. But the e-mails you are sending??? Must you be so snappy with people. Don't you realize the power of words, especially when they are read by people who have had to deal with your tone on teleconferences?

I'll tell you a secret. The team calls me...a lot. When they should be running things by you, they are telling me instead. Why? Because when people run into a problem, they are looking for support in fixing it. They are not looking for someone to question their intentions or capabilities. Sometimes I do nothing but listen with a sympathetic ear and then advise them to call you. Most daily phone calls I deal with are the carnage from interactions with you. Ed called this morning and was extremely upset by your last conversation with him. Deep down I think you enjoy bringing an extremely intelligent 35 year old man to the brink of tears.

I realize that you graduated Magna Cum Laude from the school of micromanagement but with all due respect, BACK OFF. I know I give this job too much space in my life. I make myself readily available to 5 different time zones. I am willing to make the sacrifice so I can work from home and be closer to my family. And Yes, I realize that instead of dealing with you, I'm sending this e-mail to the anonymity of cyberspace. I feel better that the words are out there, regardless if they every reach you.

Sincerely,

Mint Chutney

16 Comments:

Blogger RT says...

Thats a wonderful post. Arent all bosses the same..!

Mon Aug 29, 06:25:00 PM CDT  
Blogger D says...

very well written mint. its too bad that you will never really end up sending / expressing this to the person concerned eh?

Mon Aug 29, 09:06:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wandernut says...

There's one in every company.
How they get to where they are is always a mystery.

Glad you have an outlet for your frustration, Mint.

Mon Aug 29, 09:10:00 PM CDT  
Blogger The Box says...

I think there are a lot of bosses that are kind and supportive and will back up up when the shit comes down and they give you due recognition and they...

You're not buying any of this are you?

Mon Aug 29, 09:36:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Rat says...

Give me her Email id Mint ? *Evil Laugh*

Mon Aug 29, 11:38:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Sidewinder says...

Help! Bosses everywhere! :(

Tue Aug 30, 12:11:00 AM CDT  
Blogger APOO says...

The day u decide to quit this job, you know what you need to cut - paste!

Tue Aug 30, 12:27:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

A she or a he?

Tue Aug 30, 01:11:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

go in a super woman suit and whack him on the head! hmmphh!

Tue Aug 30, 01:14:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Pink says...

I hope I don't turn out like that coz I'm so gonna be a boss!:)

Tue Aug 30, 04:20:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Madame Mahima says...

oh i feel the relief of writing a letter..even if you're never going to send it to someone..
hang in there minty..

Tue Aug 30, 04:46:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

rt: Welcome! My former boss was much better than this one.

d: She has a reputation for acting like this. I just came to find out that management thought that I was the ying to her yang, hence why we got put together.

Wandernut: She's very talented and has loads of experience. I think this is why people overlook the fact that she's a raving lunatic.

Box: I actually buy it because my former boss (TL) was my employer soulmate. She's now at the same but on different projects. *sigh*

Rat: No way! That's all I need is for an angry Rat to send her e-mails.

Side: Welcome! They are everywhere.

AJ: The day I leave the company my e-mails to her may not be this kind.

AB: She. My company is 85% women.

Pix: LOL. Perhaps I'll do something slightly less violent like put laxatives in her coffee.

Jane!! Welcome, welcome, welcome. She would be a good case study for your PhD.

Lavi: I'm sure you will be fine. I supervise 6 people and most days they like me just fine. : )

Madame: You're letter inspired me. I was just letting it fester in me and I reread your post and decided to write this. Thanks MM!

Uma: Welcome! Luckily the sun goes down just as fast as it came up. New day (hopefully not the same crap) : )

Tue Aug 30, 09:25:00 AM CDT  
Blogger That Girl says...

im kind abummed too today...

our BIG boss sent out an email today to our dept staff.. telling us to LOWER THE NOISE LEVELS or else someone would be "talked" to and embarrassed....what a ....!!??

needless to say everyone was quite ticked off by the acidity in the email...sigh... i hate it when power goes to people's heads.

Tue Aug 30, 09:31:00 AM CDT  
Blogger . says...

these unsent ones Itell you
but ya- feels good once written,yes...

Tue Aug 30, 12:10:00 PM CDT  
Blogger eM says...

Ohhh, I so know what you feel right now. I'm actually wishing I was as anon as you so I could do many bitchy posts. *sigh*

Tue Aug 30, 11:32:00 PM CDT  
Blogger gvenum says...

Wonderful one. Can I use this a template and sell around. Ofocurse you will get the royality. What say:)

Wed Aug 31, 05:49:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home