Sunday, April 03, 2005

Lackluster



Question: When do you know that Christiane Amanpour, US CNN's chief international correspondent, is clearly sleep deprived while covering the death of the Pope?
Answer: When she says the following "John Paul the II was of course the first non-catholic pope elected in over 450 years".

Ummm...Christiane sweetie, I think you meant non-Italian. Although I went to Catholic schools for the first 9 years of my educational career, I am by no means an expert on Catholicism. BUT, I'm fairly certain that the Vatican would want one of its own peeps running the show.

Had a great lunch with my 2 best friends on Saturday. I live in a city with many great restaurants and we try a different one each time. Because we were pressed for time, we ended up at a pancake house for a good, old fashion greasy American breakfast. Location doesn't matter because we can dish the dirt no matter what the surroundings are. D was horrified the first time he realized the exact level of detail I talk with Ley and Nik about. I grew up with Nik and Ley, who happen to be sisters. Nik is a lawyer who is married to a lawyer and has a 1 year old daughter. Ley, is a 30-something grad student who works at a publishing company. Our conversations inevitably always end up about Ley's boyfriend Lanky and his inability to commit. Ley has always had a thing for tall, lanky, brunettes who are usually 2-3 years younger than her. I have also found that Ley's boyfriend are always eccentric in one way or another. Lanky is a slow-talker who always has some random thought that usually brings any lively conversation to a screeching halt. He's nice and he's cute in a youngish, lanky way but I personally think Ley can do better. But he apparently makes Ley happy the majority of the time and some days that's all I can ask for. Oh, by the way, Ley's last boyfriend was also a quirky, commitmentphobe. She was devastated when he suddenly broke up with her and was completely mortified when he came out of the closet a year later. You would think that this would make Ley wary of Lanky's inability to say I Love You, even after almost 3 years together. In Ley's case, she has made excuse after excuse as to why the relationship still works. But at lunch, I could tell things were different. Lanky is now in counseling and hopes to have some answers "very soon". For the first time Ley sounded tired of all the excuses and even briefly talked about life without Lanky. I told her that I would always be honest with her but would support any decision she made. But I also mentioned that I would have to throw down some major attitude if she enters year 4 of this relationship no closer to answers than when they started.

I also admitted to my friends that I have been thinking about an exboyfriend. Definitely not in any sort of emotional or sexual way. More in a I wonder what he's up to way. I broke up with him because there was no chemistry there whatsoever on my part. In all honesty, I knew by month 8 that I no longer wanted to be in the relationship but stayed with him through month 12 because I wanted to say I had dated someone, anyone for a year. We had a great time hanging out and going to concerts together. I continually told him that I thought that we made better friends than boyfriend-girlfriend but he disagreed. The last time I saw him, he said that he knew I loved him and it was a matter of time before we were together again. I disagreed, politely at first, but grew more and more annoyed the more he tried to tell me what I was feeling. He needed to be away from a lot of family stuff that was going on and decided to transfer to college in Alaska of all places. He said he would write every week and I told him not to bother. That was the last thing I remember saying to him besides "good luck". I've been wondering if he was ever able to get his life in order. My friends agreed with my decision not to pursue it because he would probably take it the wrong way and think I wanted to rekindle something. Back then he had the emotional maturity of a gnat. He's probably graduated to a tadpole by now.

Lastly, I watched The Terminal starring Tom Hanks. It's cute in a completely improbable way.

10 Comments:

Blogger eM says...

Okay many commentlettes.
1) Did the CNN correspondant actually say that??? That had me giggling for a bit!

2) Ex-boyfriends always seem to regress, no? I wonder if we sorta regress in their minds too, but somehow I doubt it.

3) The Terminal was one of my all-time favourite movies of last year! :) And I'm not even a Tom Hnaks fan, though I think he's a fine actor.

Mon Apr 04, 12:45:00 AM CDT  
Blogger That Girl says...

i have this funny ability to become SO extremely close with my exboyfriends...its kinda wierd..they always haunt my mind.. and i find i can tellthem anything.. and everything and i DO.. which is so nauseatingly perfect.. i wonder why that couldnt have happened when i WAS in a relationship with them..
about the correspondent. i really hope she made a fauxpas..lol coz if those guy realsie they elected a non catholic.. lol theyd be washing out the insides of the vatican right now.. lol
i like The Terminal... but i think its a rather extreme take on what happens in an Airport.. having alomost LIVED my entore life in them on and off..lol NO ONE>NO ONE would ever fall for a lonely old man with no home just like that.
* ok will stop being so cynical now*

Mon Apr 04, 03:21:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Mandar says...

hi there! reading ur blog for the first time. u write well. i will keep coming back to read ur blogs. bye!

Mon Apr 04, 06:19:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Everyman says...

Thinking about how the 'ex' is doing..or what she is upto...hmm..i've do that time and time again..but it's not because i still harbour some 'feeling' or so..but it's more out of interest and care..but do i do anythin about it? Hell no! Better to leave things as they are..

Shain

Mon Apr 04, 06:38:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Primalsoup says...

Oh, Non Catholic Pope, Hmmm, did she get to keep her job, I wonder! :)
Wondering about Ex?? This curiosity business is a bit of a pain at times, the grief increases manifold when coupled with Hindsight! :)

Mon Apr 04, 11:19:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Vignesh says...

[begin sarcasm]
First the correspondent. All of you should be ashamed of yourselves !!! A poor woman, breaks down thanks to the unbelievable stress of losing her guiding light and you make fun of her ... tsk tsk...
[end sarcasm]

Now, eM about the regress bit, yes, ex-girlfriends do. All the time. We men have dreams about them. Nightmares. They have this nasty habit of popping into our heads at the end of a a wonderful day, causing much depression and anger. I worry about her, I care for her still. But as Shain said, doing nothing about it, is the best thing I can do for her now.

Tom Hanks probably the second best actor of our generation, right after to Robert De Niro. But I wanted to kill him in The Terminal. Highly annoying movie !!

Mon Apr 04, 11:53:00 PM CDT  
Blogger bloggerhead says...

hiya there
thanks for making me feel better:) i know i know... its moronic to be like this but we all fall into the same trap time and again.
I liked reading your blog...
Cheerio

Tue Apr 05, 01:07:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Yulacu says...

haha...non-catholic pope...they should really give those news reporters a little more sleep....I think it'll help the news in general. :)

Sun Apr 10, 09:00:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Anurag says...

The Terminal was a very well executed movie. I am a huge Tom Hanks fan, and I thought he gave a brilliant performance.

People often meet their exes and say, "Thank God I am not with that person anymore. He/she is completely not who I would like to be with". I don't buy such arguments. Couples influence each other. If people had not broken up, their exes probably wouldn't have changed like that. Just my thought on the subject.

Mon Apr 11, 01:16:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Vignesh says...

A new post.. anytime now...

Mon Apr 11, 06:16:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home