Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Secret World



eM's post really got me to thinking. I wonder who people perceive me to be based on this blog? The would-be detectives out there have already put the pieces together and linked me to another site which I maintain for the kids. Only over there, they're not the kids, they're the children. I don't refer to them as the boy and the baby, but rather by their lovely birth names. There are pictures of us and various family and friends that I've mentioned. The anonymity of this blog affords me details that would never grace the other, more family-friendly blog.

Unfortunately, I think I briefly resembled one of those people that eM mentioned who think they know you just because they frequent your website. I used to frequent a blog of someone in on the east coast. From the moment I saw the website, I felt as though I was looking into a mirror of my own life. The guy is a Keralite who married a blue-eyed spouse of English/Irish decent. They have one child who is adorable. They, like us, are liberal, out-going, and enjoy family. The more I read his site, the more I related. They actual remind me of close-friends of ours who we hang out with. The only difference is that the fact that he is Indian and, in my mind, I felt a kinship with him and his family. Who else could relate better to my stories of my immigrant parents and our struggle to fit in? Who better to identify with raising kids smack-dab in the middle of two cultures. Anyway, there was a link on his site to send the kid a birthday gift, which in all fairness was probably meant for family and friends. I took the opportunity and sent a book from my kids to his. The link was through Amazon, so it was never like I knew where they lived or anything. This was an innocent gesture with the hopes of sparking a friendship between the 2 families. I received a prompt but somewhat curt e-mail thank you. Unfortunately, they did not want a friendship and worse yet, I think he thought I was a crazy stalker. I was surprised and wanted to write and say "Hey buddy, you'd be lucky to have us as friends!" but decided against it for fear of perpetuating my stalker image. (I pictured Glen Close in Fatal Attraction going "I'm not going to be ignored, am I.")

Lesson learned. Alas, I will continue to enjoy tales of "B" and "Hickey" and "Golfer-ex" in the anonymity of blogland where I belong.

P.S. I'm off to California on Sunday for work. Unfortunately this trip is all business.

11 Comments:

Blogger eM says...

Awwww.. poor Mint.
You can send me a birthday prezzie anytime! :) And when you come to Delhi, I'll INTRODUCE you to Golfer Ex :)

Fri Apr 29, 12:38:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Vignesh says...

Me too !!! Where's my budddaaay gift !!?!? ;)

Now that you have bloated eM's ego beyond the confines of her petite being, I think you can send some lurveee thisaway ! Instead of listening only to GolferEx and B, you can also wait to hear about Fragrance Girl and CuteIFP ! ;)

Fri Apr 29, 03:15:00 AM CDT  
Blogger anumita says...

I guess anybody would be suspicious on just getting a gift from someone, without any explanations...

Fri Apr 29, 05:15:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

eM: Thanks eM!

Vignesh: Am very interested to hear more on Fragrance Girl (sounds like a superhero name) and Cute IFP.

Anumita: Hindsight being 20/20 I'm sure it looked strange.

Fri Apr 29, 02:43:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Gamesmaster G9 says...

Interesting you should mention that. I have wondered on a number of occasions what people look like based on their blogs. And since you are one of the few people in Chicago whose blogs I read, I have also wondered whether I may have actually seen you somewhere and not realised.
In fact pretty recently, I saw a desi woman with her American husband, who I thought fitted your 'image'. Fleetingly considered going up and introducing myself, but then realised it would sound incredibly creepy - random guy asking "Hey, are you Mint Chutney?" has to be scarier than random woman sending birthday presents

Sat Apr 30, 02:41:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Primalsoup says...

Ah, well its a suspicious world out there, and most people are more surprised by good deeds than nasty ones!
But, not to worry, I shall take the stud Mallu cousin. Thank you very much! :)

Sat Apr 30, 10:52:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Cee Kay says...

I think I might react the same way if someone sent my kid a birthday present. No offense meant to you, ofcourse. Its just the way things are these days. On more than one occasions, I have recieved letters from my kid's school district saying that a kid was accosted by a stranger on their way to, or from, school. On one occasion the person even tried to force them in their van and on another, the person was accompanied by a female (to generate trust I guess). And we have also had a few incidences (including murder) where kids were in contact with pedophiles over the internet. Granted, I am a little more paranoid than is required but I think its better safe than sorry. Again, I am NOT saying you are not trustworthy. And I also believe what you did DOES NOT fall into any of these categories (mainly since you didn't try to conceal what you were doing from the parents).I am just trying to bring the other person's perspective to light. .

Sat Apr 30, 12:00:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

Game- If the guy had a Cub's hat on and the couple had 2 fair-skin children in tow then it may have been us.

Primal- Perhaps we can all get together in December. Hopefully mallu stud cousin will not be in jail by then.

gettingthere- I get it. I was surprised at the time because I only had good intentions.

swing- I would be lying if I didn't say I was very curious to see the cause of your heartache. Granted, I know that there's more to it then the physical aspect, but still...

Sun May 01, 01:41:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Kumari says...

I know how it feels...i get that "Are you Nuts?What do you want?" looks from colleagues(whom i don't know) when i give them compliments i feel they deserve...but yeah, considering how BAD the world is getting i doubt if i will let my kid anywhere near a comp till she/he is like 20 :)

and yea, my amma never said 'don't speak to strangers' so you can send a gift on myb'day :)

Mon May 02, 01:40:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Jay says...

Ha! Tracked you down! The comments you leave on my blog have faulty links to your blog.

And btw, I'd never say no to a present (unless it ticked, or leaked white powder, or was bad in bed).

Wed May 04, 01:52:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

Gee, can I be on your list of b'day gifts too?:-)

Sat May 07, 02:10:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home