Friday, April 22, 2005

Thanksgiving



I blog because I am bored. It's Friday night and I'm all alone. D has a big project at work that has been rescheduled multiple times because of my travel schedule. This weekend, D and his band of fellow IT peeps, will do some major upgrades to the blah blah blah and then the blah bah blah. I'm not mocking. I just have no idea what the technical terms are for what he's doing. Anyway, the bottom line is that the kids are in bed and I have the evening all to myself. Unfortunately, I've developed the mother of all colds and sound like I'm one inhale away from SARS. To top things off the baby has a cold and stayed home with me all day. Let's just say, today will be filed away as one of my least productive days in the office. D had mercy on me and came home at dinner time to help get the kids settled for bed. Afterwards, I snuggled on the sofa with our warmest blanket, ready to watch whatever's on cable only to discover the volume doesn't work for some reason. I've tried everything to no avail. Alas, I'm blogging because I'm bored. I do have the picture on one of our high definition (HD) channels which has some concert with a bunch of musicians of which Nora Jones and Keith Richards are the only 2 I recognize by sight. There should be a law against having Keith Richards in HD. I can see every pock mark, every crevice on his face. Without sound he looks like Captain Jack Sparrow (a la Pirates of the Caribbean) doing an impression of Keith Richards.

The weekend will be spent split between both in-laws. Tomorrow at my parents, Sunday at D's sister's house. I have self-diagnosed SARS in addition to the fact that I'm celebrating my womanhood so I am not looking forward to any of it. My little sis is driving up from school to spend the night with my parents, not because she necessarily wants to, but because she has to. She has to try on a blouse for a sari she's wearing for a wedding we're going to next month. My dad is completely OCD sometimes and has to have everything in order way before the actually event. In contrast, my mom will wait until the last minute and then scramble to get things done. They both drive each other crazy. Then there are my in-laws. My mother-in-law is OCD/anal retentive but in a happy-go-lucky way. D's stepdad is nice, but has some sort of adult attention deficit disorder. For example, within half an hour of dinner being done, D's stepdad will want to leave whereas his mom wants to stay and visit some more. They squabble at each other like cats and dogs. D's real father died suddenly when he was 5 years old leaving his mom to raise all 4 kids on her own. I wonder what these family events would be like with D's real dad around. Would he be tolerant of the lingering conversations after dinner? Would he make excuses to sneak out for cigarettes like D's stepdad does? Would D and I have even met if the circumstances in his childhood were different? I honestly don't know.

I owe my soul to each fork in the road, each misleading sign.
'Cause even in solitude, no bitter attitude can dissolve my sweetest find
Thanksgiving for every wrong move that made it right.


Excuse the sappiness of this post. I found the uber remote that controls the master volume so I'm off to find a movie that will no doubt bring me to tears. Have a good weekend!

7 Comments:

Blogger smoke says...

My mother is obsessive-compulsive and just CANNOT leave anything alone. My dad would rather just not know anything about anything that doesn't impact him directly. I think I'm a pretty good mix :-)

Sat Apr 23, 12:13:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Everyman says...

Hey, if the volume is out, why dont u try some of those good ol silent movies?? If u havent, try Pushpak.

As for moms and dads..well, neither of mine is OCD-enabled..but they more than make up for that handicap with other great qualities!!lol!

Shain

Sun Apr 24, 01:41:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

heh heh... i did think some readers would like littlearsonist!! isnt he amazing?!

Mon Apr 25, 04:33:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

Mo- I'm also a mix of my parents as well (much to the dismay of my husband ) I tend to be more laid back like my mom.

Shain- Thanks for the recommendation. My dad is a big Kamal Hassan fan.

Swing- How can I resist a blog who can quote both Yeats and Tori Amos? I definitely want to give you a shout out for recommending him.

Mon Apr 25, 08:45:00 AM CDT  
Blogger anumita says...

...and out of boredom emerged a beautiful post.

Tue Apr 26, 06:32:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Anurag says...

I can completely identify with a day when nothing goes right. I had one such day and decided to get some beer to drink at home. At 10:30 in the night I drove to the shop, struggled to park the car, managed to pick up two bottles of beer, struggled to unpark the car, drove home, took the bottles out of the backpack and dropped them on the floor. I cried. My wife laughed. I slept sober and irritated.

Both my parents and my in-laws are pretty cool. I'm lucky, I guess.

Wed Apr 27, 10:27:00 AM CDT  
Blogger eM says...

Two things:
a) Do you know if you go to the very first post of all the blogs you visit regularly, 90 per cent of them will admit to starting out of boredom? I know that's how I started to blog in the first place.
b) I sorta know the littlearsonist--will point him in direction of praise :)

Thu Apr 28, 01:41:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home