Thursday, September 08, 2005

MY FIRST: Dead Body (Conclusion)



Um.. yeah. I changed my mind about posting Part II. Let's just say witnessing 2 adult autopsies was ok but when they brought out a 5 month old infant, I went numb. The pathologist asked me to help by holding the chart and recording info as she dictated. I couldn't even watch and when I looked at the chart I saw the boy's name. Knowing his name made it so real. As I stared down at the chart my teardrops kept smudging everything I wrote. We all left that day a little hollowed but with a whole new respect for the men and women who do this daily. I was supposed to go to dinner with my boyfriend that night and I remember putting on a perfume called Tea Rose. That was the last time I ever wore that scent because I will forever associate it with a formaldehyde smell.

The End

Unfortunately my first dead body was far more interesting than the majority of my firsts (first love, first car, first break-up). Thus ends that short lived series...

12 Comments:

Blogger eM says...

I've actually never seen a dead body. Even when people I loved died, I stayed far behind the crowd so I wouldn't have to look at the sheet covering something that once danced and smiled and loved chocolate.

That said, I like this series. Good way to begin it, but please don't end yet.

Thu Sep 08, 12:06:00 PM CDT  
Blogger D says...

people who work in morgues... i wonder how they dont think of what is around them and waht they touch and what they examine - day in and day out.... i really wonder.
"my first..." great idea mint. can i please steal it for writing something later?? please??

Thu Sep 08, 10:10:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Madame Mahima says...

oh goodness..i can't imagine seeing a dead child's boy..i think i'd go into shock..
it just seems so wrong..

great post minty..i might just borrow your idea ;)

Thu Sep 08, 10:22:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Rat says...

Come on Mint, we want to know your other firsts !!!!

Thu Sep 08, 11:22:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Penny Lane says...

Yeah... rather a morbid 'My First'..we want to hear some fun 'My Firsts' now!

Thu Sep 08, 11:31:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

really...what must it be to deal with on a daily basis. and children just...its just so hard to take, even to see them in pain or injured...

Fri Sep 09, 12:28:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Pink says...

Glad you killed that story quickly! Now, I have to go find something to cheer me up!

Fri Sep 09, 12:56:00 AM CDT  
Blogger The Box says...

Oh babe, you don't know how good you are at this.

Fri Sep 09, 01:16:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Pink says...

I'm going to pick up your package from Rat, it finally arrived!!!!!!!! That's sure to cheer me up! Also, read my new post...you're tagged!

Fri Sep 09, 03:54:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Menagerie says...

Mint, It would be so much fun - first love, first car...as you relive those moments, so can we....so dont stop, just as yet!

Fri Sep 09, 09:30:00 AM CDT  
Blogger That Girl says...

ohhhh i could never do that...id break down.. i woudlnt have the strength...its just so numbing to see death in the face,.. i just cant fathom it...i just keep thinking.. life is so frail.. so frail..

youre very strong.

Fri Sep 09, 10:22:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Red Inked says...

Dirty Jobs... Huh...

Fri Sep 09, 01:26:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home