Monday, October 03, 2005

When the night has no end and the day yet to begin



As the room spins around I need your love -Hawkmoon 269 ~ U2

Mint, the relationship packrat (inspired by Wandernut):

Things I've recently thrown away:

~troll doll my 6th grade crush bought me at a garage sale

~chop sticks from the Thai restaurant my first real boyfriend took me to. (Real as opposed to all the relationships I was having in my head)

~pair of gloves from my cheating boyfriend

~poetry and letters written by my longest relationship before D
(I'm not sure if this makes me a heartless bitch but I have to say it felt good when I did it)

~ticket stubs from various concerts attended with above boyfriend

~note from guy senior year of high school explaining that he got back together with his ex-girlfriend and hence would not be taking me to prom. I believe I wrote back and said "No problem" when I really meant "Then why the hell did you ask me asshole?"

All these things we're easier than I originally thought to toss out.

Things I decided to keep:

~just about every card and note D has written me.

~letters and mix-tapes from a long distance boyfriend. (Not the one from above!) They convey pure love and yearning and still make me smile to this day. I also kept a picture of us in front of window overlooking downtown Chicago

~wonderful e-mails from another long distance boyfriend. More yearning, lots of smile and some tears. Hmmm...I'm sensing a pattern. I seemed to have great relationships with guys who are not in the same time zone as I am.

~rocks from beach where D proposed

~note from boy in grade 7 who said my eyes were like 2 big drops of caramel. He actually liked my best friend but I still thought it was sweet

I didn't hesitate twice in keeping any of these.

12 Comments:

Blogger Rat says...

Its a good feeling once you've chucked these things though no. Just this saturday I deleted 6 text messages from my inbox that I had from Last year.

Mon Oct 03, 11:22:00 PM CDT  
Blogger S says...

lots of boyfriends! :)

Mon Oct 03, 11:25:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

Rat: I'm VERY bad about deleting e-mail. The IT people at work are always begging me to clean out my inbox.

S: 6 total including my husband. As a rule of thumb, I don't count any who weren't old enough to drive (or shave).

Mon Oct 03, 11:34:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Penny Lane says...

Oh my god... I LOVED the troll dolls... they were so ugly and cute at the same time! The grade 7 boy note is very sweet :)

Mon Oct 03, 11:45:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Pink says...

I have a shoebox full of letters and cards people have sent me over the years... I don't think I'll ever throw any of it away.

Tue Oct 04, 12:13:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wandernut says...

Ooooh! Troll dolls!
My high school sweetheart and first love gave me one doll every month the whole 2 years we were together. I chucked them all away along with everything he's given when he broke my heart - he snuck around with a girlfriend of mine behind my back. It was too painful then to have anything to remember him by. Hahahaha... how silly I was.

Your eyes are like caramels?
THAT IS SO SWEEEEEETTT!!!

Tue Oct 04, 01:48:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Vignesh says...

Wow. You heartbreaker you.

The Archive button on Gmail serves me quite well. As for the rest... well... they are just pieces of paper right now - with glossy or matte finishes.

Tue Oct 04, 02:35:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

...i still hve some stuff that my previous boyfriends gave me....its not that i cant brign myself to throw them away....theyve just become such a huge part of me that i treat them at articles now..the sentiment has been thrown away a long time back...sigh.

Tue Oct 04, 08:16:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Anyesha says...

I have always found it strange that I feel attached to old train tickets, library stubs, cards, books, chocolate wrappers etc. etc. (each defining a relationship, a moment) even though I sometimes have difficulty associating faces with those.

Tue Oct 04, 11:27:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

Penny: The note was sweet. I'm pretty sure he's still living in his mother's basement if you want his number.

Lavi: I still have the majority of the cards/notes my friends and family have sent.

Wandernut: Ouch! If a guy ever cheated on me with one of my friends...well, that's like killing 2 birds with one stone.

Vig: Heartbreaker? Hardly! (sigh) I need an archive button.

Grrl: (hugs)

Anyesha: Welcome! It was rather cathartic getting rid of some of that stuff.

Tue Oct 04, 08:58:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

know what you mean abt long distance relnships though. Love somehow seems stronger when one doesn't have to share bookcases and towels :)

Wed Oct 05, 12:02:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Tartrazina says...

i'd never have deleted that one final msg in my phone inbox from way back when (..we were more than just friends), but my phone decided to do that for me! dear ol' phones been in the phone-fixing-place a week... they said they wouldn't be able to take a back-up... sigh...

Thu Oct 06, 07:55:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home