Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Mamma Mia



I'm a huge music fan. In my youth (i.e. before kids) Ley, Nik, and I spent what little money we had on music and concert tickets. My first concert was U2 when I was a freshman in high school. Going to concerts was tricky with immigrant parents who thought everyone was on drugs and would wait up for me and nonchalantly check my pupils for signs of intoxication. The all-day music festivals such as Lollapalooza and WOMAD were extra tricky to get permission for as my father never understood baking in the hot sun all day to see 10 bands. "Don't you have anything to study?" he would always ask despite it being summer break. By the time my little sister was going to concerts, she didn't have to jump through as many hoops as I did. I took her to her first 2 shows: Indigo Girls and Tori Amos. At the Indigo Girls show we got hit on by a very butch group of girls who thought J and I were a couple.

D and I have completely different taste in music. He is definitely more Beatles- Simon and Garfunkel while I listen to everything from Billie Holiday to Sugarcubes. My son loves the music that I listen to. When I was going through a hard time at my last job, I made a CD of a whole bunch of up-beat songs that I played all the time. The boy loves this CD and requests it every time we're in the car. For the past few days, much to D's chagrin, the boy has been walking around the house singing Abba songs.

One of the few regrets in my life is that I never learned to play a musical instrument. When I was about 7 (my older sister was 11), my parents bought a piano at a music store going-out-of-business sale. Despite the discount, it was probably still more then my parents could afford but my mom worked extra shifts to make it happen. I will never forget my excitement when the delivery men took the piano out of the truck. I will never forget how devastated I was when after 2 hours of trying to get it through our narrow front door, they loaded it back in the truck and drove away. D plays both piano and guitar beautifully. I've made a list of 101 things that I would like to do before I die and one of them is to learn Sweet Thing by Van Morrison on the guitar. I've been debating about using part of our tax refund to buy a piano for D's birthday in July. I have daydreams of being a musical family with me on piano, D on guitar, the boy on drums and the baby playing the flute. Sort of like a cooler version of the Partridge Family only without the drug abuse and eating disorders.

4 Comments:

Blogger eM says...

I'm so jealous that you got to see U2 and Tori Amos in concert!
But I know what you mean about the upbeat songs cd--full of music you're ashamed to tell other people that you listen to! :)

Thu May 12, 11:03:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Sunrayz says...

Wow!U2!! I am jealous. But come July 9th and Aj and me are off to see REM at Hyde Park :) Now that I am showing off anyway- I saw the Red Hot Chilli Peppers last year, same place! I have my own fav songs and some of them are hard core hindi fillum stuff :)What to do ,we Indians are like that only!

Thu May 12, 05:05:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Vignesh says...

I will not scream like a little girl. I know you went to see U2, but I shall not let that get the better of me. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

I love listening to all sorts of music, but I have all but given up any hopes of ever learning any instrument. I just dont have it I guess. And lists, I suck at keeping them up too... so go figure.

Fri May 13, 12:25:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

lasting regret- not playing a musical instrument- common- yet deep, as a personal regret- for so many of us...-
(Now why did I just write this multi hyphenated bunch of words?)

And yes, I too must sigh wistfully at your concert (U2) exploits...

Sat May 14, 12:52:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home