Monday, September 12, 2005

Knock Yourself Out



The randomness of it all:

  • Wedding stuff and more wedding stuff (5 days and counting). On a sad note J's fiance's grandma passed away the other day. She had been weak but everyone held out hope that she would live to see her oldest grandchild get married. J went to Iowa this weekend for the funeral. Americans are not superstitious when it comes to things like this and the wedding will proceed as scheduled.
  • We hung out with my parents last night and I realized that it is finally beginning to hit my dad that J will be leaving home for good. Although J was away at university for 8 years, her bedroom remained in tact for her visits home. When I asked if they were going to make any changes to that bedroom my father seemed offended at the thought. At the very least you can take the Tori Amos posters down, I said. This seemed to perk him up as one her posters physically frightens him.
  • Went shopping with friends Friday night and was flabbergasted to see that Marshall Field's was already starting to assemble their Christmas trees in the furniture section.
  • I look like a freaking apple in my bridesmaid's dress. Every time I wear it, I crave pie. There is absolutely nothing flattering about it. *sigh*
  • Got to know some newer neighbors a little better. She's a doctor, he's a professor and they have 2 kids almost the same age as ours. I've been to Sweden before and impressed Anna with my knowledge of Swedish swear words. Also impressive was the fact that neither D nor I mentioned IKEA or ABBA during dinner.
  • I think I finally won my parents over to the less-is-more point of view in regards to home decor. My parents have acquired a lot of stuff over the years and everything was on display at one point. It has taken me months to calmly declutter them of their immigrant vacation possessions. "Yes Dad, that Fiberglas replica of Jesus going down Niagara Falls in a barrel IS lovely. Perhaps we can keep it next to the Last Supper lava lamp in the garage."
  • American football season has begun which means every week I lose any semblance of a husband for approximately 3 hours at a time. D is a HUGE Chicago Bears fan. The best part for me is that D makes fresh bread from scratch every Sunday that the Bears play. Usually we make soup as well and have friends over to watch the game. Sunday D made 2 loaves of Tuscan bread to go with our Beef, Barley and Vegetable soup. Some people we were expecting had to cancel at the last minute which means that I will be having soup morning, noon and night for the foreseeable future.

IMG_1715

I knead you.

IMG_1718

Bread before the oven

IMG_1720

Bread after the oven

IMG_1722

Tuscan bread with Beef, Barley, Vegetable soup.

  • My cousins from London arrive on Wednesday with more arriving from the US between Thursday and Friday. I predict little sleep and lots of good times ahead.

21 Comments:

Blogger Cee Kay says...

I just posted a comment on your previous post! Mouthwatering, BTW!! I have had a measly serving of chickpeas (cooked indian style) today for lunch, and the picture of the bread made my mouth water! I can just imagine the aroma, too!

Mon Sep 12, 01:54:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wandernut says...

mmMMMMmmm... YUMMMMMM.
Envy envy! I could live on bread and soup for all 3 meals :)

Have a wonderful time ahead.
And do post some beautiful pictures of you in your dress (with your head artfully turned away in the name of anonymity).

Mon Sep 12, 09:28:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Penny Lane says...

I dont know why parents keep collecting all this religious stuff... my Dad went slightly mad in a Bible factory outlet store and picked up like hundreds of keychains with Jesus type sayings to give to people from his Church!

What's the wedding's colour?

Mon Sep 12, 10:17:00 PM CDT  
Blogger shakester says...

bread from scratch. awesome

one day...:)

litlle sleep lots of fun, sounds great!

Mon Sep 12, 10:33:00 PM CDT  
Blogger D says...

the whole pre-wedding thing is always a blast, so go ahead and have a good time...
the beef, barley, veggies soup with tuscan bread sounds yummy! was it?

Mon Sep 12, 11:13:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Rat says...

Show us a picture of yourself in the bridesmaids dress and we will tell you how you look :)

Mon Sep 12, 11:31:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Vishnupriya says...

please send me the recipe of the soup. (and photos of you in your apple pie dress too, or am i pushing my luck?? ;)

Tue Sep 13, 12:29:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Pink says...

Sounds like looots of good times ahead.. have fun Minty. And please tell D I'm very impressed with his bread-making-from-scratch skills. Infact he's the only non-baker that I know of (ok, not know know but u know what I mean) who can make bread or wait, is he a baker??? :)

Tue Sep 13, 12:41:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Vignesh says...

D is quite a Baker. Neatoo !!

And I'm guessing the wedding color is red ? Yes, no, maybe ?

Tue Sep 13, 01:44:00 AM CDT  
Blogger The Box says...

Well.

Except for the stereotypical barbeque (is that even spelt right?) , men aren't prone to bouts of cooking for the ladies. MAN food (usually anything burnt and dripping with grease) we can do, but food that belongs in a bakery like bread and a nice side of barley vegetable soup, well that's fucking rare honestly.

Men like your hubby, boyfriends keep their girlfriends away from to avoid exposure to - let's be honest now - unreasonably high standards.

Tue Sep 13, 01:58:00 AM CDT  
Blogger That Girl says...

oooooh this is so exciting!! i love get togethers and family all around.. youre so lucky!!! wooooo!!! btw i need that recipe for the tuscan bread...
MMM!!

Tue Sep 13, 03:17:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com says...

I. *LOVE* Fresh. Baked. Bread! :) Your meal looks delicious.

It's really scary that Fields is putting up their Christmas Tree; it's not even October, yet. :( But, you know, they always have such ornate window displays. I'll miss walking down Michigan Avenue and State Street during the holidays.

Ahhh, my beloved Illinois ... sniff, sniff ... I simply must buy my ticket home for the holidays. Soon.

Stolie

Tue Sep 13, 06:20:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Tartrazina says...

bridesmaid's dresses are meant to be a disaster - every single time! I've been BM once to often... and the only time i looked remotely presentable, was @ my sister's wedding where she let me decide who wore what - and I made sure we were all in comfy sundresses - in different colours!!!

Tue Sep 13, 06:26:00 AM CDT  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) says...

Hv fun. I'm linkin' u.

Tue Sep 13, 09:01:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Primalsoup says...

Apples crave for pies? :O

Oh well.

And the jury I believe is out, Everyone needs a Mint in their lives! :)

Tue Sep 13, 10:36:00 AM CDT  
Blogger anumita says...

Have a great time Mint! If I were closer I would have hopped over for some bread and soup! Looks yummy!!

Tue Sep 13, 11:57:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

There: The bread was damn good : )

Nutty: Please don't tell my sis but the dress is HIDEOUS. I cry at the thought that I will be immortalized in pictures wearing it.

Penny: LOL! Is there a Bible factory outlet store? DON'T tell my dad!!

AKR: It will be fun...can't wait!

D: It was good. I'm almost done with prep for that food blog. Will send you the link.

Rat: (sticks my tongue out at you)

Vishnu: Will definitely send the recipie. As for the picture.. it will surely make you lose your appetite. : )

Lavi: He's not a baker. Just a man with a LOT of patience and a love of fresh bread.

Vig: Yes...red, red, red..

Box: Although his cooking and baking is great, D gets most of his bonus points from putting up with me. : )

Grrl: I'm creating a food blog that will have all that info (and more pictures)

STOLIE! Welcome!! I love the window display at Field's. My issue is that it's not even Halloween yet and they'e setting up the trees inside.

Tart: That would have been ideal.

m: Thanks!

Primal: LOL. Did you mean everyone needs a Mint or everyone needs a mint? Next time I'm sending boxes of breath mints!

Anumita: If I ever have a local blogging thingie we'd definitely make bread.

Tue Sep 13, 01:07:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Jay says...

My flatmate sometimes makes bread with his bread machine. I've never been offered a single bloody slice. I plan to poison his flour soon.

Your husband has nice arms.

Tue Sep 13, 01:25:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Mint Chutney says...

My husband is very old school hence bread makers are not allowed in the house.

Tue Sep 13, 02:01:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Sunrayz says...

Hmmm...a man who bakes bread and cooks too...can't get a sexier man than that,can we ?! :)
Have fun over th next 10 days with family and friends!

Tue Sep 13, 02:03:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

exciting times ahead! and box, is a man who cooks that rare?

jay, you knock me out

Tue Sep 13, 09:39:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home