Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Dog Day Afternoon



I've had a shitty day. No, literally. I had a shitty day.

I was supposed to go to the Indian Consulate today to get our travel visas for our trip. (Dad, if you're reading this look away. Yes, I know you told me to do it 2 weeks ago. Yes, yes, I realize that you've called me from India 3 times this past week to remind me to get our visas. DAD! Stop yelling! We'll get the damn visas soon.)

Anyway,the applications were filled out and I thought I would call the consulate to confirm the procedure and was treated to the following conversation:

man: hello (even his tone makes it sound like he can't be bothered)

me: oh, hello...is this the Indian Consulate?

man: (sounding annoyed) yes. what is it?

me: I wanted to verify that I can drop off my family's passports in the morning along with our visa applications and our visas will be ready for pick-up at 4pm.

man: yes...Perhaps

me: umm...Perhaps? Could you be a little more specific?

man: ma'am if there are many people than you must come back another day.

me: Another day? Meaning I drop it off today and pick it up on another day?

man: yes, another day.

me: Well sir, could you offer me some guidance on how many days it would take?

man: I don't know. 1 or 5 days perhaps. Depends. Are you American?

me: I have an American passport but I was born in India. I'll be bringing in passports for my husband and children.

man: You don't sound Indian. Are they Indian?

me: (WTF??) We all have American passports. They were all born in the U.S. My husband is American.

man: But he is Indian?

me: No, he's American..

man: Yes, he has a US passport but he is Indian, right?

me: NO, he has a US passport AND he is American..

man: ma'am! He is Indian but born in the US, no?

me: NO! He is white...like rice. My husband is as white as rice! (I'm practically yelling at this point)

man: Oh. Yes, drop the passports off with the applications but you may have to pick it up another day.

me: Thank you! (click)

So J was on her way to pick me up when Chutney starts barking/yelping/crying from his kennel. This isn't unusual as the dog is a big whiner. I continue typing away at my desk when all of a sudden I get a horrible smell. As I walk to the basement I already know what it is. Shit. Chutney had an upset tummy and went all over his kennel. I spent the next 2 hours cursing the dog and cleaning up the mess. What's worse is one of my projects is being audited which leads to a constant stream of stressful calls. By the time J arrived (an hour late I may add) to pick me up, I was in no mood to go to the consulate. Instead, she convinced me to go for sushi and deal with the visa next week. (I'm out of town the rest of the week).

D called and asked what's for dinner. If looks could kill I'd be a widow right now.

20 Comments:

Blogger Jay says...

I'm first!

"My husband is as white as rice!" LOL you do get brown rice you know. And wild rice comes with black bits.

BTW I applaud your restraint in describing the really shitty part of your day. Um, out of curiosity, was it a slushy diarrhea, or just normal solids?

Tue Nov 29, 06:04:00 PM CST  
Blogger Wandernut says...

Oh Mint dear.
(hugs)

Tue Nov 29, 09:31:00 PM CST  
Blogger Anurag says...

Hahahaha. You get a taste of Indian red tape. Imagine that I have to deal with it everyday, as part of running a business. :))

Tue Nov 29, 09:54:00 PM CST  
Blogger Pink says...

Oh Crap! ;)

Hope you get your Visas soon though!

Tue Nov 29, 11:11:00 PM CST  
Blogger AB says...

Jay how gross can you get!

Poor Chutney...

Wed Nov 30, 01:47:00 AM CST  
Blogger eM says...

Heh. White like rice! I love it.. I think that should definitely go on one of our t-shirts :)

Wed Nov 30, 01:56:00 AM CST  
Blogger Rat says...

Mint in your most stressful of moments your sense of humour never evades you.
Thats why we love you :)

Wed Nov 30, 02:15:00 AM CST  
Blogger That Girl says...

ROFLMAO @Jay's comment..



BREAAAAAAAAATHHHHEEEEEEEEE. WHOO WHOOW HOOW....

i know its irritating about visas..i just developed infinite patience...i learnt they are a lesser breed of people who are catatonic in an extreme way. :D

Wed Nov 30, 05:02:00 AM CST  
Blogger sinusoidally says...

I am sorry I am laughing because I know it wasn't really funny for you. Super fast sushi service sounds better than long slow moving lines at the visa office!

G'luck with the process.

Wed Nov 30, 07:48:00 AM CST  
Blogger Anhoni Patel says...

This was hilarious. You gotta love the Indian consulate. That conversation was priceless.

Wed Nov 30, 03:25:00 PM CST  
Blogger Penny Lane says...

Haha... the Indian Consulates really think they're doing you a huge favour whenever you ring them and don't take much notice of the fact that we are actually PAYING for it!

So when do you leave?

Wed Nov 30, 08:44:00 PM CST  
Blogger shakester says...

i am so sorry you had a shitty day but you must realise it made for entertaining blogging
:)

Wed Nov 30, 09:45:00 PM CST  
Blogger Progga says...

I should sympathize, but I'm laughing. :>

Sat Dec 03, 01:12:00 AM CST  
Blogger Tartrazina says...

Hope the week has been better! Waiting for your next post!

Sat Dec 03, 02:27:00 AM CST  
Blogger Sunrayz says...

Red tape? Can handle that.
Random strangers becoming 'morality police',apparently,for your benefit?
I HATE IT.
I hope you got the visas...

Mon Dec 05, 03:26:00 AM CST  
Blogger Sunrayz says...

OK. Now I am impatient- where are you? In India? Is everything ok??

Mon Dec 12, 02:14:00 PM CST  
Blogger Cee Kay says...

Hey Mint! I don't remember when you were going on your trip to India - but if you are already there, have a safe and happy trip. If you haven't left yet - again - have a safe and happy trip!

Wed Dec 14, 11:07:00 AM CST  
Blogger Tartrazina says...

Mint! where the hell are you??!!! keep coming back for more MC, and you aint there :( hurry back, hurry back!

Wed Dec 14, 12:04:00 PM CST  
Blogger shakester says...

um, yes
where are you mint? India? what else could bring on this hiatus?

Thu Dec 15, 01:56:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

White like rice !!!

:) laughs, laughs

This is like appetiser before the main course.

Welcome to Indian Red Tapism

Sun Dec 18, 05:11:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home