Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thank you for letting me be myself



Ms Lavi inquired about the purpose and meaning of celebrating Thanksgiving so this is my shout out to her. This is the short, watered down version...

In the early 1600's the Puritans left England to escape religious persecution. Many died on the ship journey over which eventually led them to the tip of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. By the time the pilgrims arrived in America it was a cold, harsh winter and many did not survive to see spring. As you may know, America was already inhabited by people referred to as Native Americans or American Indians. The Native Americans befriended the pilgrims and taught them to hunt and plant in this new land. Thanksgiving marks the celebration of the first bountiful harvest the pilgrims had in November 1621 which allowed them to survive and prosper in their new home. They invited the Native Americans for a feast of turkey and a boatload of other food. It's all a beautiful sentiment and school plays usually reenact the feast with pilgrims and Native Americans with lots of smiles and handshaking. Of course they don't go on to show that as the settlers expanded their quest for land across the East, they banished many native tribes and enslaved the very people who helped them survive. A more accurate depiction would show the exchange of corn from the Native Americans for guns and gonnerhea from the pilgrims.

Anyhoo, I never even had turkey until I was in the second grade and our teacher made little turkey salad sandwiches to celebrate. I had so many that I ended up vomiting and vowed never to eat mayonnaise again. Of course being first generation immigrants meant our celebration had a little spice to it and included chicken biryani, somosas, and corn (as homage to our American Indian brethren). As the years progressed, the celebration became more traditional and my mom would cook a little turkey breast. My first Thanksgiving at D's house, I was amazed at how big turkeys actually were. D's family made meals from scratch although being from Wisconsin meant just about everything had cheese on it. D's mom always makes 2 pies for dessert and every year we're all too stuffed to eat them. A few years ago, D took over the tradition of making the turkey for my family's celebration. 2 years ago, to celebrate my mom's survival from cancer, my parents hosted a huge Thanksgiving celebration with family and friends for which D cooked a 20 pound turkey. Somewhere there's a picture of my dad and D smiling over this gigantic cooked turkey. If I find it, I'll definitely post it.

Tomorrow we're going to D's sister's house for thanksgiving. My parents left for India last week so I thought there would be no official celebration for my side this year. However, D took the opportunity this past Sunday to cook a mini turkey feast for just the 4 of us. As my parents used to do with us, we asked the Boy what he's thankful for this year. He scrunched his face really tight as he was deep in thought and said "I'm thankful for my mom, my dad, (the Girl), Chutney, and my Mr Incredible remote control car". I'm thankful that we still rank above Mr Incredible. : )

13 Comments:

Blogger Sudipta Chatterjee says...

Hmm... that was some trivia to learn. Wish you a happy vacation!

Wed Nov 23, 11:14:00 PM CST  
Blogger That Girl says...

i love thanksgiving...we still do it at home in Bangkok...

yeah its sad to see how they treat the Frist Nations people....in Canada they're now branded as drunkards and lazy bums....they KNOW they cant handle drink well.. but they still give it to them...and they have now sent them to upper Canada where they have these native Reserves and its so sad to see them with no expertise, no education nothing...just sitting and drinking all day and wasting their time...

people sure know how to take and then get rid of the source.

lol @ Minty gobbling down the sammiches!....Mint the Turkey!

Wed Nov 23, 11:18:00 PM CST  
Blogger Pink says...

Thanks a ton Mint! Wish you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving.. and happy feasting! For us Indians, no festival is complete without Biryani no?!

Wed Nov 23, 11:48:00 PM CST  
Blogger Wandernut says...

Had briyani 3 days straight.
First at a dinner with friends, then at an Indian wedding, and then at lunch today. I love it with chicken kurma.

And I love turkey.
Maybe one day someone will make turkey kurma and reconcile both cultures....

The boy's so cute lah, Mint!! :)

Thu Nov 24, 01:17:00 AM CST  
Blogger Tartrazina says...

heya Mint! good to be back on your blog! very hungry now!

Thu Nov 24, 03:07:00 AM CST  
Blogger The Box says...

The first Thanksgiving dinner I had was in Singapore.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn and every day, I stopped to say Hi to the huge turkey they had outside in the lobby (!). It had a small house, with wooden fence and hay.

The second last night of our stay, we had dinner with a family friend. I told my dad I wanted to take a walk. He came with me.

The fence and hay were gone. I asked "Daddy, where's the big bird?" My dad smiled and pointed to my tummy.

You do the math.

Thu Nov 24, 03:26:00 AM CST  
Blogger Rat says...

YUM !!!

Thu Nov 24, 06:20:00 AM CST  
Blogger Sunrayz says...

Bless the boy! :)
Happy thanksgiving Mint....

Fri Nov 25, 06:48:00 AM CST  
Blogger Madame Mahima says...

happy thanksgiving minty!
boy is TOO cute :D

Fri Nov 25, 08:20:00 AM CST  
Blogger shakester says...

happy thanksgiving then!
and mint, god bless your kids!
[and youguys:)]

Fri Nov 25, 12:02:00 PM CST  
Blogger shakester says...

@the box: what about then? as a kid did you smile or feel weird?

Fri Nov 25, 12:03:00 PM CST  
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com says...

I *love* your description of Thanksgiving. Very nice! :)

Sat Nov 26, 02:25:00 PM CST  
Blogger silverine says...

The 'boy' is so cute. In his mind you are as precious as his remote controlled car. Thats a big compliment indeed :)

Thu Dec 08, 07:51:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home